Give a paid app to your customers for free

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Immersion, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Immersion macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, we have a client who we are creating an app for and they have asked a question I have no idea of the answer to, They want to make the app paid (~$3) on the app store but want clients who purchase the item the app is used with to get it for free.
    Is this possible, through a voucher or code of some description or is it possible to make both a free and paid version (identical versions) and make the free version somehow hidden on the app store and only accessible from a hyper link given to customers.

So I don't have to explain it before I can get responses, the app is a companion to a tracking device that uses codes to provide information back to a phone, the app will just be generating and sending the messages to the device, their are other manufacturers of similar devices that use the same system and possibly the same codes, they want customers of these other manufacturers to pay for the app thus the reason for the question.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. You cannot enable a method to pay for the app outside the app store. Which is basically what you are asking.

3. Immersion thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought this was the case, thanks for the quick reply

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

But you get a certain number of promo codes when you publish your app. That could work.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I dont know if it would be enough to give to every customer who buys the product... But maybe you can call Apple and see if they will give you more promo codes maybe if you pay a fee or something.