Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omarjk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
London, UK
So...the question doesn't quite say it all.

My cousin is in the market for a new laptop and I have a

--> MB 4,1 - 2.4 Ghz/4 GB RAM/250 GB HD/Intel GMA X3100 graphics card

for £450 with 18 months left on the AppleCare

But should I advise him to buy the latest White MB on the market, stats are

--> 2.13 Ghz/2 GB 800MHz (ie faster) RAM/160 GB HD/AND NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card

for c. £650 (with student discount)?

Even as I write this I am thinking that my system would be a good deal for him and I take better care of it than I do my mother so he knows it's coming from a good home. Am I missing something about the new WMBs that would make it worth the extra £200 for him?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My thoughts exactly. The gaming would be the only concern about not buying the new white MB.

omarjk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
London, UK
He does not play games so looks like this is going to him.

£450 is already less than what it could fetch on eBay, but I am having guilty pangs about selling it on. I may end up just giving it to him, which is why I hoped the new MB would be a better deal if mine was a hypothetical £450!

Bottom line for him, however, is that in free vs £650, free almost always wins.

Thanks for your help.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
It's a fair deal for you to sell it to him, for £450. I'm being hypocritical saying you should sell it on as I always just end up giving my old computers away. But you re being fair.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I sell mine to family members! Usually for a good bit less than they're worth. If you do the same it's all good. I'd give him the option, he can make his own mind up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.