Give it to me straight, Is the 17" unibody mbp problem free now of the GPU glitch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok, after my obsession with the Nehalem Mac Pros, I came to the conclusion that I would most likely feel better about purchasing the 17" uni mbp over the mac pros as I could use the portability more than the pure raw power of the Mac Pros.

I mean a mac mini is sufficient enough for me so I'd figure I'll plunk down for the 2.66GHz 17" mbp model.

So, is it safe to buy one yet? I know there are huge threads about this issue on the Apple Support forum that has scared me away. But is it safe yet? Anyone order one online or pick one up at the store with no problems. God I hate Nvidia!!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Most problems you read (flickering, tearing, etc.) could be fixed with a driver update. You should be more concerned with build quality and from most users here, there seems to be none. If you want to wait for a driver update, that's cool but again, problems you encounter today (software based) could easily be fixed tomorrow.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

The thing is the 15" uni mbp that I had, had the slight flickering of the backlighting issue when its set on 1-3 notches of the backlighting. There was never a driver or update release to fix this issue well after 4 months.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple doesn't release updates constantly, they usually release an update as one big update (10.5.5 to 10.5.6). Many or speculating that 10.5.7 could fix those updates. Again, it's up to you. If you don't feel comfortable, then wait it out.

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

If you have an Apple store nearby best way to buy one from at least build quality is to go there open it up and inspect it prior to buying. They let me fire up mine and at least check out the screen look it over and make sure there were no physical defects. I've had 3 mac's (Rev B MBA, 15" UMBP) and now my 17" UMBP and zero issues over the past 6 months or so using these machines.

Forums are always full of people will issues, that's why forums are here, people look for solutions. All the happy customers are being productive on their mac vs visiting forums lol.

The exception being tech minded people such as myself that just enjoy reading about and possibly helping others or learning a bit along the way. I'm more of the "learning" path as I've only used Mac's for about a year, but have programming in my somewhat long ago past and have always built and enjoyed tech in general.