Give Reviewers free IAPs?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ArtOfWarfare, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Hi, I figured I'd try promoting my app and I had a few questions about it...

1.) How can I give reviewers a copy of my app with all of the In-App Purchases pre-purchased? I've heard ideas like having a server with all the device ID's and having my app contact the server and check if the device ID is allowed to use the IAP, but that sounds complicated... I'd like something as simple as building a version of my app that has all the purchases already made (IE, the same version I installed on my own iPhone,) and I simply email to the reviewer and they drag and drop it to iTunes and can install it to their own iPhone. Can I somehow do that via ad-hoc without knowing the reviewer's device ID & without having to pay Apple anything other than the $99 I already gave them to put my app on the app store?

2.) ... I actually can't think of any more technical questions besides that. I guess generally guidance on getting your app some extra visibility would be nice...

2. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Why not setup a server of your own that has the capability to unlock the IAP, then have a promo code field in the app that would authenticate with your server. Give the reviewers valid promo codes and they unlock the IAP with you without going through Apple?

Or better yet, with a valid code it simply unlocks the features, build it with the codes built in and no need for a server at all.

3. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

That could work...

Is there a distribution method that can work via email without having device ID's?

... Ooh! What if I made some document type that could be sent via email and my app would open it and accept it as a form of payment?

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I was thinking that you wouldn't need device IDs because it all you would just program in ~100 codes, and if any of them get typed it unlocks the feature, though I suppose if you want to ensure that each code only got used once you'd have to phone home to a server with each code. Seems like a similar scheme could work with a document type, would also hide the feature from normal users.

5. forum user macrumors regular

You might want to check your mechanism with Apple prior to releasing it. They could interpret it as a way to circumnavigate their share of the IAP money.

During the adhoc phase you will be ok, but for adhoc you need the deviceID of the reviewer.

Just my 2c.

- Olaf

6. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

That's a good an interesting point. Should I just make it clear while submitting it to them in the notes section?

"The app will act as if the IAP has been purchased if this special file type is opened. I will be sending the files to review websites only, so that they can get promotional copies of the full app. I have neither the resources nor the know-how to set up a server for a similar promotional unlock of normally IAP features."

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Not sure how many reviewers you're talking about here. If only a few it might make more sense for you to just give them gift cards to buy the IAP. I understand that you'd rather not spend actual money but your time has a value also. If it takes you several hours to implement this then sending out $50 in gift cards might be cheaper. Plus it doesn't open up potential holes in your app's security. What if one of the "reviewers" sends your secret code to all his friends?

8. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Wow, thanks for that suggestion. That's not a bad idea at all... sure, I lose $0.30 per review now, but the idea behind the reviews is they should make me a few hundred new users (aka ad impressions each day), which should make up for the lost money... and if it doesn't work out, it's not like I've really lost that much money...

9. thedollarhunter macrumors member

I am toying with the same ideas, please do let us know how you get on and which solutions you try out.

Good luck!

10. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I looked into the option of giving gift cards to my reviewers, but the minimum amount for those are $10, whereas my IAP is only $0.99. Given my apps are only making $10/month right now, and the reviewers may decline to look at my app, the investment seems a bit too risky.

I'll make the special document, and just make it so that the promo expires. Thus, if somehow the promo leaks or something, all it means is that a few people end up with demos of my IAP... with any luck, when the promo expires, they'll decide they liked the features so much they'll actually buy the IAP... and if they don't, I'm only cheated out of a month's worth of ad impressions from a few users... it probably won't amount to more than a few cents.