given a damaged i5 can i get an OAR

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerryIII, Sep 24, 2013.

1. JerryIII macrumors newbie

Hello Macrumors,

I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I currently have an iphone 4 and love it. A good friend of mine just upgraded to a 5s and loves it. He generously gave me his water damaged iphone 5 and I was wondering if I could take this phone in to the Apple Store and get an OWR on it. I know that I could reup for less than the price of getting a an OAR but I would rather wait for the iphone 6. The phone still runs but wont keep a charge very long. Can I take the phone in and get an OAR? I know that it will cost me $229 which I am willing to pay not to use my upgrade. Can I do it by myself or am I better off having him come with me to the genius bar? He said that he would come with but I don't want to make him. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jerry

2. JerryIII, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

JerryIII thread starter macrumors newbie

As a follow up I am not sure that my SIM card will fit in his phone. We are both on AT&T. So is there a cost there? My wife has an iPhone 5 and i thing they had to so a new SIM card for her.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jerry

3. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

iPhone 5 and 5s uses a nano sim. You can either cut your current micro sim or get a nano sim from AT&T

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You can go to the AT&T store and ask for a nano sim free of charge.

5. JerryIII, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

JerryIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much.

Can he give me the phone? Then does he have to go to to the apple store with me or can I do the OAR myself. How much does the new sim cost? Thanks for the input. What do I have to deal with AT &T on?

Thanks again.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

iPhone 5 is now $269 OWR.

7. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

WTF: $269 ???

Man, apple store only offered me $310 for a MINT White iphone 5 32 GB and I have AppleCare + !!!!!

I feel ripped off!!!

8. JerryIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I thought it was $229. Really?

----------

This is a 64gb one

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Yep, went up when the 5C/5S came out.
    Is it in good shape otherwise?
    The Apple recycling program (the mail-in version -- not the in-store program) will buy back water-damaged phones.
    I got $181 for a water-damaged 32gb 4S.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That is the subsidized price (which means your carrier paid for part of the phone to get you to sign a contract).

Yes it's $269 now in the US.

Don't feel bad, it's something like $325 here in China.

11. JerryIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I just want to make it clear that I am not looking to trade the phone in for a 5s. I don't want to be under contract. I was inferring as to whether my friend should take the phone back to the apple store and get an out of warranty replacement or if I could do it for him and how much it would cost.

The phone is in great shape aside from the water damage. It still fires up. It just has trouble keeping a charge.

Thanks,

Jerry

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't care who brings in the phone. I would swap it to your line by getting a nano sim from AT&T first. When Apple replaces the phone they'll move the sim and activate the replacement.

Just make sure your friend turns off find my phone before erasing it if it is running ios7. Otherwise you'll need his Apple ID to activate it.

13. JerryIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great! Is the out of warranty replacement $229.00 or $269.00?

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

$269.