Given Late 2008 MBP. Should I trade in my MBP for a newer one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zooby, Apr 30, 2009.

1. zooby macrumors 6502a

I bought a MBP last weekend and noticed that the case that they gave me seemed a bit 'older looking.' The box had a scratch in the front, which doesn't matter, but it got me a bit suspicious. I noticed that on the side it said "iLife 08" included. I thought it was odd, as iLife 09 has been out recently. I asked them about it and they said the disk was included in the box, which it was.

Recently I tried this application that lets me know how old my mac is and it apparently was made in Jul. 08, meaning it was part of the late 2008 mbp aluminums. Doesn't bug me, but since I bought it so recently, shouldn't I have gotten a newer MBP with fresher parts? Part of me feels as if they wanted to get rid of their old stock and thought I would not notice. I already moved some files, but it woudn't bug me to move them again at all.
    Do they usually give you some of the older ones that they have to get rid of? Weird.

I am strongly thinking of returning it for a 'newer' one. I haven't had problems with it lately, but I heard somewhere that there was an issue with streaks on the screen if it was one of the older made macbook pro aluminum. I did notice that when the screen is lit all the way and the screen is black - for example, I used Front Row the other day and noticed when the screen was dark but lit up that towards the bottom there were some small lighter circles. Are these meant to be there or am I being paranoid? Another thing that I thought was odd was that coconut battery said that I had 3 battery loadcycles when I had only used it for a day.

I've heard that there have been some problems with NVIDIA with these unibody mbp. How do I know if I have such problem?

My friend recently got a mbp too and he has ilife 09 included on his box meaning it was made later. My question is - is there ANY difference between the late 2008 versions and the 09+ mbps? For example, I've noticed that the battery isn't too good. Every four minutes it loses a percent. Are the 09+ mbps better in that aspect? Any aspect? Do they have less problems?

Is it even worth returning/trading in for a new one or am I being too picky?

Thanks. Any advice helps.

PS: This is a 15 inch aluminum MBP.
    2.53 GHz
    4 GB Memory
    320 GB HD

2. ebika macrumors 6502

You're being way too picky. It's new with no problems. Just enjoy it.

3. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

the 2.53ghz mbp was the model that came out in late 2008 and then they updated it to 2.66ghz a few months later and that is the one you are talking about with the "fresher parts". I bought my 2.4ghz mbp when it first came out end of last year and have had no problems with the graphics card at all. If you just bought it though I think you should have gotten the 2.66ghz. Check apples website to be sure though.

4. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the only difference between the late 2008 and the 09 is the 2.66ghz?

5. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

yeah pretty sure, but if your paying full price i would return it

6. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. dentedG4 macrumors member

Return it!

You should for sure return it.

1. the newer model is compatible with up to 8 gigs of DDR3 ram. This might not make a difference right now, but in 2 years when you are looking to upgrade this will make a huge difference.
    2. iLife '09 includes updated software like iPhoto with facial recognition
    3. You bought a new laptop they should give you a new laptop

8. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is #1 true? I didn't think there was that big of a difference between them ...

iLife 09 came with it but in a CD (which I installed)

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's weird. If you purchased a Apple product today, it should've been the "refreshed" models and not the original late-2008 model. Everything you got in-box is correct except for the processor. I would definitely go back and get the latest model, not the original.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

So four minutes, one percent... 400 minutes, 100%... six hours and forty minutes to run the battery down. Do you think this is bad?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You bought a new MacBook Pro within the previous 2 weeks? If this is the case, you should have gotten the 2.66 GHz model, since that's the current model going out. The 2.53 GHz were when the new unibody design was just introduced.

So, in that sense, you should go back and ask for an exchange, unless otherwise they explicitly stated to you they were giving you an 2.53 GHz model and you accepted and now don't recall.

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

You were given an out of date Mac. Unless it was priced accordingly, then it should be exchanged for the 2.66ghz model.

13. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re:

Regardless, even if I was given an earlier model, my main question is if there is really a huge difference between the late 2008 and 09 models, other than the processor. Did the battery or anything else improve?

14. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re:

Slight problems -

1) Battery capacity = 4600. Lower than my old white macbook. Was this updated in the '09/"refreshed" macbooks?
    2) If I install iLife 09 on a computer than had iLife '08, will it be the same thing as if I bought one with it preinstalled or will it take up more space?
    3) I've heard that there have been some problems with NVIDIA with these unibody mbp. How do I know if I have such problem?
    4) Coconut battery said that I had 3 battery loadcycles when I had only used it for a day. Is this normal?
    5) I did notice that when the screen is lit all the way and the screen is black - for example, I used Front Row the other day and noticed when the screen was dark but lit up that towards the bottom there were some small lighter circles. Are these supposed to be there? They're not too noticeable.

And finally - is there a big difference other than the processor between the late '08 and '09 versions?

15. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Just take it back and get the new one. If you purchased it new recently, it should be the 2.66 model with the better internals, end of story.