Given the watch is 50M approved; can this now be used to SCUBA?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by audirs5, Sep 11, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Wondering how it will hold up?

Not sure how Apple can claim 50m=over 100Feet, but then say you cant SCUBA with the watch?

How does this workout?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Since the Apple Watch is in no way at all a dive computer I can't fathom any reason why you would even consider wearing one while diving.

In short the device is intended for average, normal swimming activities. Not diving or free diving.

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

No, read the footnotes in the specs...not recommended for SCUBA. Could it work? Probably but not advised.

"Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth."

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also to the OP. If you have to ask and don't understand then you don't need it and it is 100% water safe for any activity you will do.

6. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Deleted my post.

Always read first and post after.

7. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, since we seem to not understand my question here; i'll try again.

How can the watch NOT be SCUBA usable, if according to the specs, it can WITHSTAND 50M depth.... It's not a dive computer, but why advertise 50m depth, yet not be usable for such depth.

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Because of reasons :)

Basically Apple is trying to indemnify themselves from lawsuits and claims when people try it and the watch fails.

As I said, it very well could go that deep and not have issues but just know any failed attempt will be met with "we told you so" from Apple along with denial of warranty coverage because it was used in a manner that did not follow their recommendations.

9. mallbritton macrumors 6502a