Giving iphone 3S to child, iCloud/itunes questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MollyMae, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MollyMae macrumors newbie

I want to give my old 3S to my 2 1/2 year old grand child who lives in another state. She loves the iphone, camera, the games, the pix, videos of herself, and netflix.
    The phone will not have cell service, just wifi.
    I currently still have icloud active on this phone, backing up her game apps, photos, vids, etc. It is also still connected to MY itunes account for app updates.
    Once I give grand daughter this phone... can my daughter back it up on HER itunes account? And what are my risks in having this phone connected to MY icloud account for backup?
    I'm just not sure what my options are going to be and what I need to be worried about in giving an old phone to someone else (in case it is ever lost or something...?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The risks if it is lost are small but there - your account info (but not password) will be available, for example.

However, I don't think it's a good idea for practical reasons to send it with your account linked to it, because either you need to tell your daughter your password so she can update apps, or the apps will never get updated. Furthermore, a child will take lots and lots of videos and pictures, and those will quickly fill up your iCloud allotment.

I'd remove your account information at the very least, and, better, set up a new iCloud account for your granddaughter (5GB free!).

In the end, you could send it as-is and all would likely be OK, but it'd be better to set it up fresh, I think.

3. Lampmeister macrumors member

Personally, I would never give an iPhone to anyone that hadn't been wiped clean first. It just seems like there would be too many opportunities for problems that could surface later.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I second this. Nothing but issues...

5. MollyMae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I will look into a free icloud account for her. If I delete MY icloud account from it, will that delete the photos, apps, etc already on the phone also? Since this was my phone, I have hundreds of pix and vids of her, plus all of her game apps. I don't want to lose any of that.
    And my daughter already knows my itunes PW, as she & grand daughter were here for 4 months this summer and she updated that phone all the time. I'm not worried at all about HER, but more if the phone goes missing.

----------

I have been deleting pretty much everything except for pics, vids, and grand daughter's apps. Also deleted all unnecessary programs.

When I give it to her, it will only have "her stuff" on it.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If there are a number of photos and videos on it, please be sure you've gotten them backed up to a computer. Your grandchild could easily accidentally delete them.

If you're ok with the password being known, then you should be fine; there's not a huge risk if it's lost, but I'd definitely remove all the contact information.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw