Giving my 3GS to a friend: how does he ATT to activate

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Argelius, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I'm giving my iPhone 3GS to a friend who currently is with ATT using another smartphone with a data plan. We popped his SIM into my iPhone abs it worked for calls but not data. What procedure with ATT does he need to do to get it fully functional?

2. alakazzam macrumors member

As far as I know the iPhone has it's own specific data plan so he would most likely need to go to an AT&T store and have them activate it for him? Maybe it could be done online I'm not sure.

3. alansaysstop macrumors regular

You can call AT&T and have them add it to his account. The person I gave my 3GS to did the same thing.

4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

So, do I have to call ATT (so they dont think he stole it), or does he he just make the call himself?

5. churchrd macrumors member

If he has a 3G capable sim card, he can just stick that in there and he'll be able to make and receive calls. But, he needs to contact ATT and add the iphone data plan to use the full features of the phone.

I gave my wife my 3G last night. She was making calls last night, but couldn't access email, web, etc. We went to ATT and added data this morn, now she's good to go. You can call or chat online with them too change your account.