Giving my 3GS to my son who doesn't have a data plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, Oct 15, 2011.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

I got the 4S today (love it). I want to give my 3GS to my son. We're both on ATT, but he doesn't have a data plan. He currently has an unlocked 3G w/ the fake APN thing. He knows not to text msg. It has worked fine for the past 2 yrs w/o any added fees etc.

The 3GS has 4.2.1. I saw you can deactivate cellular data now 4.0 and above which is cool.

My question is can I restore the 3GS to iOS 5.0, not jailbreak and unlock it, and turn off the data via General>Network>Turn off Cellular Data and be good to go for him?

Thx!

2. blacksurfer macrumors regular

No Data will be added automatically. Get him the $15 data plan

3. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

How old is your son? I can't imagine a kid nowadays using a cell phone without texting...

Seems like an awful lot of effort to save $15 a month (the cheapest data plan)

What you are describing could work, but there is no guarantee, as any change could flag you in AT&Ts system, and if it looks and sees an iPhone it's going to make you add a dataplan.

4. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

He's 8. He doesnt need a data plan, and he has txt'd people before. Ive paid the occasional 20 cents a txt. No biggie. I just want to see if this will be doable so I can give him the 3GS.

5. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

lucky 8 year old....but i think it's possible to get the ios5 on it

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My daughter has a 3GS. I was texting her tonight and was surprised when it said iMessage and the text bubbles were blue.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

+1

Very lucky kid. I would be worried that he would lose it, which I would think is probable.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will be doable for a few weeks or months till they notice it and they will add an iphone data plan automaticly to that line.

9. phearx macrumors regular