Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
So I'm giving my 2009 27" iMac to my Mum and Dad as I have a new Retina en-route.

I have a few questions for anyone who can help?

Whats the best way to "wipe" it but leave certain programmes (Office etc) intact?

Shall I just go through photo libraries and delete the files....and I assume for mail - I just need to delete my account and set up a new one for them??

Can I put them on family sharing so they can keep all my music in there etc?

Or is there an easier way to do all of this?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Create a new account for her in System Preferences > Users & Groups using the "+" button (you may have to unlock the pane first) and make sure you select "Administrator" as the account type. Logout of your account and login to it, and delete your old one in System Preferences > Users & Groups by selecting your account and hitting the "-" button. If you don't want your files kept make sure you choose the option to delete the home folder.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agreed with advice above.

One additional thing to consider:
Once you have their new account(s) set up, and your old account deleted, you could open Disk Utility and choose the "erase free space" option. This will zero-out all the unused blocks.

The "fastest" option in the erase free space panel should be enough...

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks guys!!

Will look at that once the new one arrives and is up and running!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.