Giving my JB 3GS to friend, question about restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sms0217ny, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sms0217ny macrumors regular

So I have a 32GB 3GS running 3.0.1(7A400) and firmware 04.26.08

Since I'm upgrading to the new iPhone 4 I will be giving this one to a friend who will need to have it unlocked to use overseas (which it currently is).

I wanted to get some input if the following should work:

1) I backup the phone to itunes so I can retain all my files etc etc

2) I run a restore

3) Create new itunes account for my friend and do a sync with the newly restored phone

4) use the same JB tools i did initially and re-JB and unlock now with it being synced to my friend's itunes account

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

what are you asking?

looks like it will work fine for him...

3. sms0217ny thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just asking if those steps will work or if I'm forgetting a step or making an assumption that isn't true.

thanks!

4. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

it seems legit on paper...the only bug when giving a iphone to a friend with the os already running on it...is syncing to itunes...but you made another itunes account. should work. would be the only snag i see.

5. sms0217ny thread starter macrumors regular

6. TechJunkieee macrumors newbie

Same situation...but?

I also have a JB iPhone 32GB 3GS running 3.0.1(7A400) firmware with baseband 04.26.08. I would like to give it to my brother since I will be upgrading to iPhone 4 but I would like to erase all data and either restore to same (3.0.1) firmware or to 3.1.2 (preferably)

My question(s) would be:

1) After Backup, Can I restore to the old original 3.0.1 firmware thru iTunes without a problem and still keep 04.26.08 baseband? And then re-jailbreak and unlock?

And/Or

2) After backup, Can I put iPhone in DFU mode then in iTunes hit SHIFT and just use the downloaded 3.1.2 restore firmware (since that baseband can be unlocked)? Will it upgrade/work or Must I create a custom 3.1.2 firmware? And would this work?

Help or any suggestions? much thanks.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I hope you have not done this as yet and you did not follow the advise from Medicott. If you do as you suggest the restore will update your firmware to 3.1.3 and your Baseband to 5.12.1 which is presently still unlockable. I would create the new account in Itunes and then sync the phone with that which will delete all the data on the phone. To be extra careful I would even use a different computer to sync the phone.