Giving my kids an iphone to track them with "find my iphone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macjonny1, Jun 29, 2009.

1. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

OK here's the deal. I have some daughters and I think that when they come of age I'll give them an iphone, and connect the "find my iphone" service with their phone unsuspectingly. That way, when I find them over at the boyfriends house when they are supposed to be somewhere else, well....I gotta figure out the rest. They are only 5 & 8 but it isn't too early to stay one step ahead ! :D

They'll never know why dad seems so omnipotent....

Or, maybe there are things that are better left unknown...:rolleyes:

By the way, I'm not being serious here but I did think it was a funny idea

2. hellrider macrumors regular

unfortunately if your daughters are the curious type, they may discover the setting to disable Find my Iphone

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

your daughter would never forgive you. Plus lets face it they are going to date and when they date at some point they are going to spend some time over at their BF place and you will know they are going over there. Not much you can do to stop it. Best you can do is raise them right and hope they listen.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

5 and 8? You've got a long way to go :D

Edit: and you know AT&T has a service that you can pay for that can track any phone on your account.

5. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

By that time, they will know better and will leave their iPhone at their girlfriend's house and claim that the battery died. Cell phones do NOT keep kids from doing what they aren't supposed to be doing! We won't have total control until they can imbed a LoJack under their skin! LOL

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't worry. Unless they are doing the dew in an open field PMiP will be less than accurate. You'll have to sync up/have access to each others mobileme's too. Hopefully your daughters bf doesn't accidentally upload pictures of his shagging success in the gallery lol. If they caught you snooing (i.e. a "where are you going??" alert message) they could just leave the phone charged up at their girlfriends house (still reporting that local) and forward all calls to a prepaid. Too easy.

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i guess another thing is, when he sees them at the BF's House on mobile me, he can also send a warning message, and threaten to remote wipe, etc.:p

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

By that time, your teenage daughters will be more tech savvy than you will be. Or, they will get help from their tech savvy boyfriends. :eek::D

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol always amuses me how some parents think their daughters having bf's is a "bad" thing

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

haha same here. my dad says to me."you need to talk to girls more...." even tho i have a lot of really good friends that are girls, but he also says to my sister. "stay away from boys etc. there so icky."haha:p but honestly, those guys in her class are pretty weird.:rolleyes:

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oh young one, wait until you become a parent and have girls of which you are worried about. You perspective may change. :)

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

haha. that reminds me of when one of my teachers had a baby girl, he then updated his facebook/twitter/whatever status to "Im shopping for shotguns":p

13. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

That may be so, but it still doesn't change the fact that our parents most likely did the same! Now we do it and so will our kids... it might be tough to overcome, but it's natural and it's what's gonna happen!

14. exhibit.b macrumors regular

AT&T has location services now (9.99 a month for 2 months, 14.99 for 3-5 i believe) You can track the phones on a map. Each phone that you set it up on gets a one time text message that says the location service has been turned on thats it. No settings on the phone that can turn it off.

15. chriszzz macrumors 6502

If you want your daughters to hate you and do things to spite you because you don't trust them, go ahead.

16. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yep. Was going to post this as well. From my understanding it must be a compatible phone that supports the service, but I would expect that list to be growing all the time.

17. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

hehe.... the iPhone.... want to track your kids.... theres an app for that

18. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're 5 & 8!
    Those kids are in for it .. seriously. 5 & 8? How far can they stray?

20. hellrider macrumors regular

If you didn't notice, he said he was kidding at the end. :rolleyes:

21. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Seriously, if your (meaning the OP) letting them run around freely to the point where you are thinking of getting them an iPhone to track their locations at ages 5 and 8 you might wanna take a look at what YOUR doing wrong.

My daughter is 7 and pretty social and no way do I need to 'track' her whereabouts. If I have any questions, I ask the parents "How they doin?" and that's that.

Now the kids across the street (sounds like your kids) they'll end up on milk boxes (yah I know they don't do that anymore) but at 5 and 8 and bf's? I know all my daughters classmates and other friends and the last thing on their mind are boys. Mostly it's iCarley or Hannah Montana. LOL

And yes I did catch the 'joking' part but to even suggest thinking that at ages 5 and 8. When they do reach the age of 'spying' on them, there's bound to be a much better way to track them.

22. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I tried the AT&T FamilyMap and found that it wasn't nearly as accurate as MobileMe's Find My Phone feature. Find My Phone consistently locates my phone with a few dozen yards of its actual location whereas FamilyMap is either out of service or places you within 3,000 miles of Kansas.

23. Luna81 macrumors newbie

24. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Hi, My name is Melinda, and I bought FindMyPhone so that I could figure out where I was... incase I was ever lost and had a laptop with wifi and needed to find out where I was. Thank God for that.
    :eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

wonder if anybody used the iphone as a find my car yet. I know of people that used the sprint locator like a lojack for car.