Giving my parents their first iPhone (unlocked) but they don't need data.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I am handing down an iPhone 4S and they are currently on a pre-paid T-Mobile plan. They only use the phone for emergencies and to give you an idea, on a 1000 minute plan that costs $100 a year, they used maybe 30 mins last year. Still cheaper than spending $30-$40 a month.

My 4S is an AT&T unlocked model so it will run on T-Mobile. They only want the phone for calls and to take pictures and videos. They have absolutely no need for Internet.

What is my best option? Can I simply get a T-Mobile SIM and transfer the number over from their phone to the iPhone and keep the $100 plan? I am aware of the $30 a month plan that includes unlimited data but they have no use for that.

2. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

$40/year
    T-Mobile's Pay as you go plan.
    30 minutes, 90 days of service, $10
    33cents/minute, but it's cheap for the low amount of calls they're going to use.

I don't see why not, t-mobile's prepaid does BYOD

3. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

What happens if I get them a prepaid voice only plan and they try to look up email? The data won't work or will I get charged from the prepaid amount?

4. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

It won't work, remember prepaid is paying for only the services you get, before you get them.