Giving old iPhone to someone else & they want the apps to remain

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by StinkyDonk, Nov 4, 2012.

1. StinkyDonk macrumors regular

So my brother wants my old iPhone 3GS as i now have an iPhone 4S. He wants to keep the apps, but obviously they're under my iTunes account.

He doesn't yet have an iTunes account, but how can he keep the apps on the phone (phone is jailbroken if this matters) AND have his own account too? He doesn't want to have to pay for all the apps i paid for.

2. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I think it could work in the way that he logs into App store of his phone with your account and downloads them.

3. blaake macrumors regular

Youre in a grey area. If he adds his account to the phone while it has the apps on it, it may or may not take of the current apps. You could try it and if it take the apps off you can easily add your account back to the phone and re download them. It seems like a trial and error situation

4. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

5. Redsew macrumors newbie

Just keep your account on it and if he needs and update, just type it in for him and not tell him the password to it. Shouldn't it be that easy??

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You can have your iTunes account in up to 5 devices. He can keep your Apps, and the setup his own account and both apps will work fine: the ones bought with your account and the ones bought with his. It is just a matter of having the account active when downloading the first time and updating, you can switch back and forth without any issue directly in the iPhone. Just b aware of what you do if you are use to sync with your computer, under what settings you have them set up. I do manage all my apps directly from the iPhone to avoid deleting content from my other accounts.

Long story short: yes you can have different apps from different iTunes accounts. And use them without caring which one is currently active in the settings (logged in).