Giving up my Grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Data plan 2016...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Well, now that they raised the monthly price, I'm giving up the Unlimited data plan I think... is there anything I should know about before I do? Any incentives Verizon's offering or reasons not to that I should know about?

I'd be going with a prepaid Verizon plan, so I can tether my laptop too, and not pay as much per month. Verizon has the best coverage in the places I lurk.

2. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

Base your decision on your monthly usage. That's my best advice. In my personal situation the $20 increase is nothing compared to the comparable data tiered plan I would need.

3. rillrill, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

People are still paying money for those if you're willing to give up your number.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Can you tether with the prepaid plans? I know some carries that is not an option.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Great point. I don't think you can. You would have to either have a prepaid plan for a phone or a prepaid plan with a hotspot. Worth chatting with a CSR about.

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A friend of mine works in the marketing and sales department of Verizon. He alerted me to their new aggressive, pricing going forward in 2016.

I called in and was upgraded to 36 GB of data for the same price as I was paying for 18. I'm not about to pass that up.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I feel like most of the carriers are going to have to start pricing aggressive, especially since there are no subsidies on phones making the MVNO carriers very popular. I personally use cricket and can get 10gbs for $55 using ATT towers. That is pretty hard for them to beat. They have two tiers lower for $10 less each, 5gb and 2.5gb.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Very true.

A few years ago AT&T and Verizon took another close look at the substantial revenue streams that their prepaid cellular business was generating. Now with their business models highly refined, the cash haul is staggering and their users have never had better choices.

10. risk235 macrumors member

I thought about selling my two unlimited lines and using that to pay off my phones them switching to T-Mobile four unlimited lines for $150

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...Ok....

12. c172flyer macrumors newbie

I'm on a Verizon prepaid plan and tethering is available. The only feature I'm aware of that prepaid customers aren't able to use is voice over LTE, Verizon's version of HD calling.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My recommendation is to look into alternate carriers. Prices are competitive now and many carriers will pay you to port over. This can be a boon particularly depending on how many lines you have.

If you really need unlimited I know ATT is offering it again, but for four lines $150 with a TV bundle required. T-mobile has four lines for $150 with 14gb tether per line and Sprint has something similar too.

As was.mentiined, if you know you're.moving prepaid and you don't want to keep your number, people are paying quite a bit for unlimited plans.

Bottom line is do a bit of research in terms.of what networks might work for you and what incentives they are offering. It's more competitive than ever.

14. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Yeah, but other than the unlimited data (which I never use more than 20GB of) there's no real awesome feature I'm loosing, right? If I could tether a laptop to the phone it'd be different, but with the grandfathered plan, I can't.

15. Dethklok macrumors member

+1 for T-Mobile in NYC. They enabled Band 12 near me and I get 4 bars of LTE. Indoors my co-workers get 1 - 2 bars and sometimes drop completely off LTE.

16. Alexrat1996 Suspended

turnpike can you sell the unlimited data to someone who needs it

17. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

What is the going price for

What is the going rate for such a plan?

18. David The Computer Guy macrumors newbie

David The Computer Guy

I need unlimited Verszon Data, Can you email me so we can discuss this? I am new to the Macrumors forum & I don't know how to PM. If you can PM me I'd really appreciate it or if you can email me, I'm @ lioncycles@gmail.com
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    I need unlimited Verszon Data, Can you email me so we can discuss this? I am new to the Macrumors forum & I don't know how to PM. If you can PM me I'd really appreciate it or if you can email me, I'm @ lioncycles@gmail.com

19. Closingracer macrumors 68000

T-Mobile is a piece of crap in NYC....I should know I used them for a and couldn't get coverage in school, work or my own apartment.

20. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Eh I've had T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T and. Own with sprint. Even with Verizon and AT&T having their own 700mhz network up I couldn't get great service in my apartment and at my subway stop in Brooklyn ( which none of the stations are wired with wireless networking) I got no service with the exception of Sprint with its 800mhz network. Sprint on solo plans are the cheapest between sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint in nyc for me at least speeds are decent and depending where really great.

21. Closingracer macrumors 68000

At my school I had an iPad Air 2 with LTE using T-Mobile and sprint iPhone a decent my iPad never got any service there whioe my phone does. Granted the iPad didn't have band 12 support so who knows. I had a Note 4 at the time I ditched T-Mobile and band 12 support wasn't avaliable

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We certainly do the.kive there but when we visited we had a very strong signal everywhere we went. Just about the only place I didn't get a signal was on the subway, and the case was the same with ATT (we were testing t-mobile whole on vacation). You're honestly the first person I've end to say bad things about t-mobile in NYC.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    Apparently band 12 is all the difference. I tried tmobike over two years ago in the Boston area and it was borderline unusable. I didn't test r again until band 12 hit. I'm guessing band 12 makes a big difference.

23. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

You can still tether...you just have to pay the $30 a month for it. I would do that before ever giving up unlimited...