Glad I got Applecare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boomhower, Jun 17, 2012.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I was at work and stepped out of my car. Had to jump back in and forgot I had set my phone on the car. Following a three hour search it was finally located with a busted screen. Called Apple on Friday and my new phone will be here Monday. That $150 was well spent.

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

3. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

plus the upfront cost. and if you never used it, it would have gone to waste....if you didn't have it for $50 more you could have gotten it replaced. same exact refurbished phone.

i'm taking my chances

i normally don't aware people on this because i don't want them changing their policy...but we here at MR, are like a secret society. so i decided to share.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Why?

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

You don't have to buy Apple Care.

6. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Prime example of why AppleCare+ is a waste of money. You still had to dish out over $150 (tax is not included in this amount) in order to get your phone fixed. If you don't have Apple care, you pay $200. (For iPhone 4S, and $149 for the iPhone 4)

I personally can't justify giving Apple $100 up front in case I ever break my phone, just to save $50. As $50 is nothing to anyone working full time.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Agree with xAnthony but as long as your happy! I also like Europe!

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

We don't have to buy Apple care either here in America, if we don't want to.

9. rajjkamal macrumors newbie

He meant, that in Europe, most of the time your phone is covered under your home insurance. So you don't have to buy additional applecare.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Now… if you drop your phone a second time, you're out $400 with AC+.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe claims over there are more common and reflected in the premiums they pay (much like auto insurance), but in the U.S. we risk having our premiums shoot up if we make even a single claim on home insurance.

You can just purchase with a credit card that doubles the warranty and get two years of protection (at least against the amount you actually pay).

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only if water damaged, not if cracked screen will they replace for 200

I assume many buy with a cc. Check the benefits. I know mine doubles the manu warranty and all sorts of other good stuff

edit: beaten to the point!

13. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

AppleCare+ only covers two drops... So again, you're not really saving much money. It's more of a scam in my mind. If you're prone to shattering your phone multiple times, I'd recommend a case over AppleCare+.

Also, there's a chance Apple will replace your phone for free... So again, I don't see a point to AppleCare+.

14. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

How do you figure that? You are allowed 2 instances at $49
    So best I can figure if you used em both thats $197.
    Also there should be no tax on the initial purchase of the AppleCare+ plan or the $49 service fees.

15. TjeuV macrumors 6502

A case is indeed a very good alternative for applecare+ and saves you some $ :D People should think more about this option

16. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

Actually there is tax on it, I think it was $51.XX for the replacement. My phone was in a case but the impact was to severe. My case has survived several waste high drops onto concrete and ashpault just fine. Being thrown from the top of a car at speed was just to much. I won't use an otterbox, using a case that almost doubles the size of the phone is nuts to me. I'm not prone to breaking them, this is the first I've had to replace in years. Sometimes crap happens. Some would rather pony up $200 if they break it, to me $50 is easier to swallow. Especially if I have another incident within the next year. It works for me, I understand not everyone likes the approach. That's why we have different choices.

17. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I think they were referring to the 2 year Euro warranty (Higher in some countries) that is meant to come with every product in Europe although Apple are still a little bit shady with that.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We can get the same thing if we purchase with a credit card that doubles the warranty (although only against the original purchased price). Equally shady too :D

19. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'm glad the OP is able to get their iPhone fixed with AppleCare+! It's funny because last night I was actually talking about how I wish I had AppleCare+ on my iPhone 4S, and lo and behold, one hour later I drop it (without a case because I had misplaced it before I had to leave for my college graduation that morning and decided to go solo for the day). As can be applied to many instances, all it takes in one time.

I still think $100 isn't astronomically horrible to get AppleCare. I only have the regular AppleCare, so it doesn't cover accidental, and I couldn't afford getting insurance yet since I had many other important expenses. My otterbox was my insurance and in a silly decision I now have a cracked screen. Since I can't afford $200, I'll be going downtown to the reputable repair shop and getting it done for $80. Really wish AppleCare+ was offered for older but pristine phones like mine was before last night. Would've liked to save $30...

20. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

But you really didn't "pony up" $50. You paid $150 plus tax. You can't ignore the original purchase of AppleCare+ as that was a $100 purchase.

However, if you do break your phone again, then it will be a $50 fee.

It's unfortunate what happened, but at the end of the day at least you got a new phone and you're able to continue your day to day activities. That's all that matters.