Glad that the iPhone isn't wider

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimeforBed, Sep 16, 2012.

1. TimeforBed macrumors newbie

I for one am super glad that the iphone is only taller and not wider.

I really hate how big other phones have become, they just don't feel comfortable in your pocket and to be honest, there is no need for a screen that big.

Anyone else with me?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

most who use iphones are with you, and that was a big part of the reason apple made it only longer. They want people to use the phone with one hand.

3. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

At first it looks weird, I think maybe I'm too used to wider phone with 4.3" & above screens.

But then it started to make sense I guess. Apple said they wanted it to be easy to hold in one hand and lengthening of the screen would be the best solution. I think when people start using it, they will like the longer screen too.

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

This x100. I love that I can text with one hand. It's one of those things that I miss when using a Galaxy S3.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I like a wide screen but not when it has to function as a phone.
    Very happy they are not following the paper back sized book craze

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i would have been happy with another 3.5" but the current size now is plenty big. i have a mac and a ipad i don't want my phone any bigger than the iPhone 5.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Do you have exceptionally small hands?

8. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

I think the iphone 5 should've been a little bit wider, don't hate, i ordered one. I guess i have mens hands :p

9. infinity12402 macrumors member

A lot of people don't seem to realize that almost all decently sized phones, around the 4.3in size, are the exact same width as the iphone. I have a droid bionic which is about 4.3 and I held it up to an iphone and its the same exact width. And then I preceded to hold it up to a bunch of the other phones that were around. And guess what? Same width. So people are freaking out for nothing.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I saw the Lumia 920 picture in an obviously male hand and it looked way too big, even somewhat awkward. It looks like a nice phone but I'm not sure why such a desire for large phones. Might as wait and see if you can use an iPad mini as a phone :)

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I agree with the ip5 being wider.

I have on reserved for friday. If I don't like the presentation is I can always upgrade to the SIII:D

12. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I think the aspect ratio is just right. This IS a cell phone... not a tablet. I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed if they left it at 3.5." Everyone seems to believe bigger is better, but it just isn't practical to make it any larger than this. I'm not gonna sit in front of my phone for hours on end, which might justify the need for a bigger screen. It's for mobile use. Leave the big screens for my computers and TV.

But, I hope in future models they manage to decrease the size of the bezel all around. An edge to edge screen (from side to side in portrait) would be great and smaller areas below and above the screen would make it perfect.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yes haha. I think my GF has bigger hands than me.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

she has man hands

15. appswipe, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

Lets not get carried away. Nobody is going around with pockets that are precisely 62.1mm and a 65mm object would burst the seams. And I'd be surprised if anyone could find a thread out there where users or devs were clammoring for 4in 16:9 rather than simply making it slightly larger and wider with the same aspect ratio.

Im not trying to be a jerk but the reality is that if people would actually try these larger phones (4-4.3") then they'd be pleasantly surprised that they aren't as unweildy or cumbersome as people make it out to be and the benefits of seeing things better or making less typing errors would be welcomed.

16. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I would prefer it to be wider. I am not leaving the Apple ecosystem for a larger phone, though.

17. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

phone could have been wider...I just played with my roommates windows nokie 900 phone....fit in one hand and I could do every thing

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

I can't wait to hold the new iPhone. I'm curious to see if it looks weird being taller. I still think the screen should have been bigger. The S3 in person looks small even though it's 4.8"