Glad to see "The Big Bang Theory" coming to an end

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Even though I am a big fan of "The Big Bang Theory," I am glad to see it coming to an end. This last season has been hard to watch at times. The writing has been subpar (to sat the least). The earlier seasons were so much wittier and intellectually engaging.

Reactions: daflake

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Even though I am a big fan of "The Big Bang Theory," I am glad to see it coming to an end. This last season has been hard to watch at times. The writing has been subpar (to sat the least). The earlier seasons were so much wittier and intellectually engaging.
There are some really good videos about what is wrong with TBBT. By and large, the problem is the jokes are focused on the clever people. It's not, on the other hand, very clever from a humor standpoint. It was fun for a few seasons but it wore out its welcome.

This article explains my feelings fairly well: https://www.popmatters.com/silicon-valleys-humor-is-smart-and-assumes-its-viewers-are-too-2495458943.html

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2018
USA, CA
Last 2-3 seasons weren't very good. Basically it turned into relationship stories with very forced manufactured problems with a quick solution by end of the 20 min episode. Didn't really make for fun watching.

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Last 2-3 seasons weren't very good. Basically it turned into relationship stories with very forced manufactured problems with a quick solution by end of the 20 min episode. Didn't really make for fun watching.
Yeah, but "woo hoo" for Kayle Cuoco, and Melissa Rauch when she's not doing the voice.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
LOL I so need to keep up more with pop culture. I read that thread title and thought someone had finally found another problem with the Big Bang Theory, one finally big enough to discount the theory immediately and cause it to fall from its status as "prevailing cosmological model" for launch and evolution of the observable universe.

So I was thinking "gee, while I was sleeping, someone's alternate theory got an Oscar?"

I guess I meant Emmy, not Oscar. :D I slid my TV to the e-cycle in 2004 and somehow managed not to realize in ensuing times that there has been a Big Bang Theory TV series that's winding up at 12 seasons. Wow.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
LOL I so need to keep up more with pop culture. I read that thread title and thought someone had finally found another problem with the Big Bang Theory, one finally big enough to discount the theory immediately and cause it to fall from its status as "prevailing cosmological model" for launch and evolution of the observable universe.

So I was thinking "gee, while I was sleeping, someone's alternate theory got an Oscar?"

I guess I meant Emmy, not Oscar. :D I slid my TV to the e-cycle in 2004 and somehow managed not to realize in ensuing times that there has been a Big Bang Theory TV series that's winding up at 12 seasons. Wow.
It is one of the few new shows that I watch. Given the overall demise of quality tv these days, I tend to stick with the tried and true vintage tv shows and movies. And when I really want to geek out, I watch some of my favorite silent films.

As to the show at hand, it was cerebrally funny (science wise) the first 3 - 4 seasons and slowly, the writing started to fade.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
It is one of the few new shows that I watch. Given the overall demise of quality tv these days, I tend to stick with the tried and true vintage tv shows and movies. And when I really want to geek out, I watch some of my favorite silent films.

As to the show at hand, it was cerebrally funny (science wise) the first 3 - 4 seasons and slowly, the writing started to fade.
I think I may give those early seasons a shot sometime, thanks. It's not that I don't watch any TV via streaming or purchases, I just probably don't generally bump into most TV references -- and am realizing now it's because when I head to Arts sections of papers or even to mags like Pop Matters, I am generally then clicking on tabs for Books... Music... Dance... etc. And not TV.

I am still sort of surprised I never even heard of this particular series though. In 12 years?! I must have seen the phrase pass my eyes sometimes and just assumed it was in reference only to the theory itself.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
This show was excellent the first 4-5 seasons and I'm both sad and glad to see it go. Sheldon Cooper will certainly be noted as one of the greatest characters in sitcom history and Jim Parsons portrayal of him the first 4-5 seasons was undoubtedly brilliant and certainly deserving of his Emmy wins.

Did anyone see the failed pilot episode that's on Youtube? Watch it if you can. It's quite funny also and would have been a very different show if picked up.

We still have Young Sheldon which I believe to be a good show also.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
This show was excellent the first 4-5 seasons and I'm both sad and glad to see it go. Sheldon Cooper will certainly be noted as one of the greatest characters in sitcom history and Jim Parsons portrayal of him the first 4-5 seasons was undoubtedly brilliant and certainly deserving of his Emmy wins.

Did anyone see the failed pilot episode that's on Youtube? Watch it if you can. It's quite funny also and would have been a very different show if picked up.

We still have Young Sheldon which I believe to be a good show also.
I haven’t ever watched the show, but only heard good things. But I need to ask...the same level as Archie?

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Everyone who is thinking about watching this should watch Silicon Valley instead. Smart humor geared towards nerds and tech enthusiasts.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
I haven’t ever watched the show, but only heard good things. But I need to ask...the same level as Archie?
Archie Bunker? Probably not. Archie Bunker is iconic and his character broke new ground. I’m not sure that can be replicated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon

@LizKat, your post sums up my thoughts exactly.

Actually, I had never heard of the TV show until I read the thread, but, on reading the thread title, I immediately thought that some new concept to explain the origins of the universe had been promulgated, or - at the very least - that the "prevailing cosmological model" for what you described as the launch and evolution of the observable universe had been comprehensively challenged both intellectually and scientifically.

And then, I realised that it was not about that, at all.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
It's interesting what will stay on TV sometimes and what won't.

I suppose it must be a comedy?

Raines (NBC), Life (NBC) and Forever (CBS) were all just as cerebrally good (or better) as BBT, but they weren't comedies.

All cancelled after 1-2 seasons.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Agreed, I am a huge BBT fan, but the last few seasons have just sucked. I think Jim was right to call it quits.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I will put my hands up and say I've never actually watched an episode in its entirety, but did see this when it went viral and that's pretty much enough to tell me I wouldn't find it entertaining. Any show that relies on canned laughter to make it's jokes look funny probably isn't funny.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I will put my hands up and say I've never actually watched an episode in its entirety, but did see this when it went viral and that's pretty much enough to tell me I wouldn't find it entertaining. Any show that relies on canned laughter to make it's jokes look funny probably isn't funny.
Well I made it to around the 1:54 mark on that thing, so thank you, and I hereby retract my intention to watch the first couple seasons. :p

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Agreed, I am a huge BBT fan, but the last few seasons have just sucked. I think Jim was right to call it quits.
I haven't seen the last season yet, but after S7 the show went down like the Titanic. TBBT right now is just an awful copy of Friends.
I will probably finish it just to see the ending.
[doublepost=1551969423][/doublepost]
. Any show that relies on canned laughter to make it's jokes look funny probably isn't funny.
So Seinfeld wasn't funny?
Comedy TV shows are built in a different way than comedy movies. TV shows are for a more or less distracted audience, in their living room, or wherever they are. More so, they have just a few minutes to build a somewhat interesting plot and create jokes about it. They also have to make running jokes throughout the series to keep the faithful fans happy. It's a totally different dynamic and timing than a movie or a theatrical show.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wow, that was hideously awful.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I haven't seen the last season yet, but after S7 the show went down like the Titanic. TBBT right now is just an awful copy of Friends.
I will probably finish it just to see the ending.
[doublepost=1551969423][/doublepost]

So Seinfeld wasn't funny?
Comedy TV shows are built in a different way than comedy movies. TV shows are for a more or less distracted audience, in their living room, or wherever they are. More so, they have just a few minutes to build a somewhat interesting plot and create jokes about it. They also have to make running jokes throughout the series to keep the faithful fans happy. It's a totally different dynamic and timing than a movie or a theatrical show.
I suppose the telling part would be does it stand with the laugh track removed - in this case, well, I will let the video speak for itself...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I suppose the telling part would be does it stand with the laugh track removed - in this case, well, I will let the video speak for itself...
And if you remove the soundtrack from most action/horror movies, you'll get bored. So?

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Though I agree that it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to, I think it's still a good show. It does what it sets out to do and still manages to make me laugh, though not as frequently as in its earlier stages.

To all who haven't watched any of it, I would recommend seeing it. It's not a high-flying series with twists and drama, it's a comedy series and that's how you should go into it. That said, the character development is done pretty well and you really want to stick around to see how they grow.

If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, but most shows grow on you over a season or two. Unfortunately, they start to feel subpar after many seasons because it feels like you are seeing the same thing over and over, which you pretty much are.

Maybe no show should run more than 6 or 7 seasons at most because that's where most of them seem to start becoming repetitive. Then again, I could watch all 10 seasons of Friends over and over and not get bored with it so maybe there is no magic number.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Though I agree that it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to, I think it's still a good show. It does what it sets out to do and still manages to make me laugh, though not as frequently as in its earlier stages.

To all who haven't watched any of it, I would recommend seeing it. It's not a high-flying series with twists and drama, it's a comedy series and that's how you should go into it. That said, the character development is done pretty well and you really want to stick around to see how they grow.

If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, but most shows grow on you over a season or two. Unfortunately, they start to feel subpar after many seasons because it feels like you are seeing the same thing over and over, which you pretty much are.

Maybe no show should run more than 6 or 7 seasons at most because that's where most of them seem to start becoming repetitive. Then again, I could watch all 10 seasons of Friends over and over and not get bored with it so maybe there is no magic number.
Friends kept a pretty decent standard, I have to admit.
Gilmore girls final (regular) season was awful, but other than that it was pretty much ok.
Seinfeld... well it's Seinfeld.
The Walking Dead... they should pull the plug asap.
Twin Peaks, S1 is amazing, 1/2 of S2 is great, 1/2 of S2 is awful, S3 (25 years later) is the best thing ever.