Glenda Adams

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
I guess my first reaction was "is this for real?"

Inside Mac Games One on One with Glenda Adams:

And then a few months ago I got an email from Mark that—and I'm not afraid to admit it—shocked me. As I read the email I kept saying things like "no way" and "oh my God." But after the shock set in, I also felt a sense of happiness and a sense of pride in what Mark had just done. Mark had told me in the email that he was going to be a woman. As of January 1st, 2002, she would officially be known as Glenda Marie Adams.

More power to you Mark.. er Glenda.

Maybe Steve Jobs will... er... no... probably not. :)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: "is this for real?"

as interesting as this is....

just doesn't seem like it belongs on a rumors site...not until after next week anyway!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Wetware.

iBrain. would you upload YOUR personality into OS X.2? Or, say back it up into OS X server?

I love all this silly Sh-t around MWSF. It's proof that a tight lipped R&D and good creative team don't need much actual press time. Lots of free advertising.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
No wonder Mark's been distracted and having such a hard time laying down a solid Carbon port of Unreal Tournament. I guess I won't hold my breath for Carbon Rune.

blakespot

acidsteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2000
Me same

I received the same email a week or two ago, and I'm confused didn't know if someone has created the email and hacked his letter box, or something.?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Gender Bender

Several progressive companies (including Apple) have employee health coverage for sex changes. Don't be too concerned though. Applicants must have a complete psyche eval first and spend a YEAR living as the new identity before surgery and hormone therapy even begins. "Mark" may have dissappeared long ago, where as "little mark" may have a few months of being "tucked away" first.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
So...

This is like so unimportant. I need top secret stuff of what's happening next week...

I'm crumbling...
I

W

Wetnoodle

Impressed with this community

I'm not a regular here (I'm mostly here to see what news there is about MWSF) and I saw this story. I admit I expected there to be lots of negative responses - I have a relative who is also transgender, and has had a very hard time gaining acceptance.

Instead, I look at the comments and they're largely ambivalent or supportive. It gives me faith in the human condition, and in particular in Mac people.

What a great crowd you guys are! And Glenda, more power to you - what you did in announcing this publicly is unbelievably brave.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm impressed Mark/Glenda did so so openly... I'm sure she was very nervous about the reaction...

I hope things go well for her... and I hope she finds the time to finish UT X :)

arn

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
glenda's games are everywhere

i am not a gamer but even while i am looking around at apps software, i can't help but run into all those incredible titles mark/glenda has produced and worked with

when i was a salesperson at office depot selling computer gear, most of our software sales were these games and not windows, office, or other ms stuff

from what i can gather about the story, this person is the most impressive game programmer of all time...right along with that "nintendo" guy from japan the gamers always talk about

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Glenda/Mark is (was) the Man when it comes to game porting, indeed. But he/she did not create those games. They weren't easy ports or anything, moving from Direct3D to Rave / OpenGL is no supersimple task. And where would Mac games today be without UT, Rune, etc.? (I do wish we'd see some Carbon ports...)

The Nintendo guy is Shigeru Miyamoto. He conceived of Mario, and has lead Nintendo with incredible game design. He is one of the true fathers of the industry. Another is Dan Bunten--creator of the incredible "Seven Cities of Gold" and "MULE" and many more. Interestingly, Dan Bunten (from Ozark Softscape, who published thru EA in the early/mid 80's) ALSO switched gender and is now Daniella Butnen.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n9/profiles.html

http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/play4sta4.htm

(great links above)

...but as for Mac developers, I have the most respect for OmniGroup (who did an unbelievable port of Giants) and id.

blakespot