Glenn Beck: Japan earthquake was a message from God.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Glenn thinks we need to follow the ten commandments and that this was a message from god. Just another example of a conservative demonstrating their unintelligence.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...to_follow_the_ten_commandm.html#ixzz1GdpvIIov

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

He may be right, but how much of mankind will hear this message.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hopefully not too many, he's already brainwashed too many people.

PS
    Seriously?

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

What's so terrible about the 10 commandments? I don't stand for ANYTHING Glenn Beck says but I will agree society would be a better place if people followed the 10 commandments :p

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Miss the point much?

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Well four of them wont make the world a better place, but the rest are helpful. 1,2,3, and 4 would not, they are purely religious and have no basis in making things better or worse. 5-10 are not strictly commandments unique any god or belief system, in fact most cultures have these mores regardless.

1) I am the Lord your God, You shall have no other gods before me
    2) You shall not make for yourself an idol
    3) Do not take the name of the Lord in vain
    4) Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

5) Honor your father and mother
    6) You shall not kill/murder
    7) You shall not commit adultery
    8) You shall not steal
    9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
    10)You shall not covet your neighbor's wife. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It was cause by the release of pressure along a fault line.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not to nitpick, but I recall seeing some studies a while back showing that a regular day off is good for you, both physically and mentally. Maybe we should consider putting that one back on the list, just not for religious reasons.

Back to the topic at hand - Beck should leave the wackadoo nutterisms to Pat Robertson and his ilk.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Seen those studies as well and listen to presentation about it as well. They push take a day for yourself and do not do work. They also wrongly recommended against Sunday being the day for that. Big time for college students.
    Reason why Sunday is bad is you have church and all the stuff dealing with churn and having to deal with that planning and going to it so not a real break. Also Sunday is bad for college students because often we have hw due Monday and not like we are not going to do it on Sunday if it is due the next day. Also for non college students that day gets polled on with everything else that needs to get done over weekend.
    While I had a job my day off so to speak I would choose Friday from when I got home threw Saturday. If I need to go into work over the weekend I tended to choose Sunday.
    I could also argue that commandment number 2 is good to follow as false idols or making yourself one is bad in general to do.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a loving <insert your preferred sky fairy here> to kill tens of thousands to send a message. :rolleyes:

13. kolax macrumors G3

Ah.. every time there is a natural disaster, you get certain stupid Christians who just talk absolute rubbish about 'God' doing this and that. I feel sorry for Christians who are offended by this guys remarks.

I'm an atheist and I understand science. I've got to rip this Beck's point of view.. why would 'God' kill thousands of innocent people to make a message. Why not just write a letter to us all? Is young children dying in this natural disaster part of God's message? Are they being punished because they were too young to be a "believer"? And how does this Beck even know that 'God' is reminding us all of the 10 commandments?

I've seen a few things floating around the Internet with religious nutters saying: "Japan deserved the earthquake because they were non-believers". I'm angry and offended by comments like that, but I also feel sorry for the people making the comments - they are so brainwashed, so ignorant, so stupid that they are incapable of thinking and interacting humanly.

A day off is good yes. But keeping a day 'holy' will mean you won't do what you want to do on your day off. Unless your already a devoted Christian..

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But what about the other 37? Exodus clearly states that the stone tablets had quite a bit more that ten lines carved on them.

I like shrimp.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Check this out if you've never seen it, I think you'll like it ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM

(not work safe)

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Glenn Beck is Fox's version of Charlie Sheen.

The difference is Sheen is merely ridiculous; Beck is obnoxious and offensive.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That poster seems to have an obsession with Satan (from another thread) and appears to be his motivating force (whether he knows it or not) so I understand anything evil coming from that person's posts.

Hey I am a Christian, and for what it's worth, posters like that guy who think God is punishing a nation because they are (tolerant) or (liberal) or embrace something bizarre like reason or science, are not Christian, but posers who give the who faith a bad name. And Beck, he does not represent my faith, or anything close to it, and falls more into the camp of a Fred Phelps.

But as for Glenn Beck the rising GOP star, especially in recent years? Yikes! I don't know what his excuse is. If his goal was to sound as crazy as Michael Savage, I think he has achieved it. I don't know how much of the garbage that Beck puts out is stuff he believes in, but I know he's laughing all the way to the bank. I hate to say it but if he ran for office he could have a good chance of winning.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

@yg17 - Carlin <3

Seriously, even if I entertain the ludicrously improbable idea that there is a god, why would any sane, logical person want to worship an insecure bully like that? It really mystifies me. It also cheapens the real beauty and tragedy that is our universe as a whole. I'd be pissed off if it weren't so pitiful. I feel the same way about G.Beck and his "understanding" of plate tectonics.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I believe in the idea of a higher power, who I call God, but I certainly hope people don't lump me in with the Glenn Becks of the world. Where I believe there is a God, there is also a Satan who is the other major influence (according to some faiths), and the more Beck seems to open his mouth, the more he seems to be a pretty good spokesperson for the latter.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No, I don't lump all religious people in with the total lunatics like Beck. However, I don't respect any religion and sometimes the believers but it does depend on the individual believer. I've known some very level-headed religious people but because of that I find it even more difficult to understand why they believe what they do. I don't want to begrudge someone what feels right for them but it doesn't feel right for me.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We need someone to be like the fat kid from the video in that other thread and slam god into concrete. ;)

Seeing the tragedy in Japan just reaffirms my belief that there is no god. If there's a god, and he's such a loving god like the bible says he is, then why the hell does he give us natural disasters like that?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Because they are desperate for their God to do something, anything, to "prove" that He exists. :rolleyes:

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Glenn Beck is smart enough to know that God had nothing to do with the earthquake/tsunami. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't believe in God at all himself. He is saying this to manipulate less educated people into agreeing with him, and thus granting him power. I know this isn't news to most people here, but it bears repeating to those who over-analyze this situation.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just like President Obama.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No doubt influenced by his experiences during the Mau Mau Revolution. :rolleyes: