Global Education Challenges

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Apr 3, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I read an interesting article about global education and the challenges of standardizing (which I think is a bad thing in this regard) the education systems and training of countries in an effort to keep things the same internationally.

Good? Bad? What do you think?

Link

I do agree that this is a good thing, but I admit to being fearful of international standardized tests, or internationally approved curriculum, books, etc...

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It depends. At the primary schooling level (grades one to twelve), courses and teachers often have to teach to pass a test. Teaching to pass a test is more important than actually learning.

Schools and districts are awarded federal money based off test scores, which is the wrong incentive.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I agree. I think teaching for test taking is a very bad way of learning, and I think the more standardized tests we have or implement, the worse we'll become. Creativity will suffer a detriment, and students will lose focus.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

— Bill Ayers

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

America's education system was "standardized" and went to ****.

Now they want to standardize it globally?

6. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

We home-school our twin boys and our eldest son was also home-schooled. Our choice was made because we strongly believe in "learning", not "passing tests" as you folks have put it.

The twins are 14 years old, one wins award after award for his creative writing and the other is very strongly involved with the state museum and zoo as he wants to become an ornithologist. Next year they commence the state provided distance learning program as both want to gain Ph.D. type educations.

I'm glad they have had all this time to form who they are and what they are about rather than just being moulded by the bureaucracy through the education systems conformist approach.

I'm saddened to hear that this is being contemplated worldwide.

I am all for education that doesn't suck the life out of kids.