Global Warming (Real or Hoax)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Nov 18, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I tried talking with people my own age, but they are immature 18 year olds. SO, I decided to come here where the people here are actually smart and civilized.

I, for one, believe it is real and we must do everything in our power to stop it or our children and our grandchildren will have to deal with the consequences.

What have you done to curb your carbon emissions?

Here's what I've done so far....

Every light bulb in our house is a compact florescent light bulb. My family purchased a $1,800 washer and dryer that uses 60% less water and 50% less energy. We purchased a ULEV car and are in the process of buying a Toyota Prius. We buy organic food and organic household cleaners. I bought a $700 T.V. that uses 45% less energy and a energy star computer. I did all of this for the sake of our planet, our one and only home.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I haven't done anything specific, but I rarely have any heating on (my upstairs and downstairs neighbors' heating keeps me warm) and I'm conscious to turn off the TV completely at night, turn lights off when I leave etc :)

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I think focusing just on global warming is a little short sited. We should be looking to minimize our impact as much as possible while remaining economically viable. Often times it is more economical to be mindful of your impact, which a lot of people don't understand.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If it was a hoax, as you put it, in who's interest would this hoax be?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do i believe it is happening, there are hell of a lot of fors and as always there are a hell a lot of againsts. I personally think that in the long run better efficient usage of our resources is a good thing even if it turns out global warming isn't happening.

What have I done, well I use energy saving light bulbs (cheaper electricity bills). Don't use plastic bags, walk most places, don't use drier.

What did you do with all the old things?
    Did they still work?
    What is an ULEV when one is at home?

Edit:
    The huge amount of people employed by it.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You could make the argument that by replacing all of your old things filled up the land fill with stuff that was not broken, and you hurt the environment when you bought all new appliances and used more resources to make them.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't think hoax is a good word at all for the other side. Personally I think climate change is happening and it is most likely getting help from our actions. We don't have good enough models to predict accurately what is going to happen though. Only thing we know is that more species are probably going to go extinct and we're going to have to adapt.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Huge amount of people employed by what or whom?

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:D:D:D

Good call!

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The dinosaurs were not killed by global warming but an astroid hit. Who knows what is in store for us or in the end what might do us in.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It's real. I research it. It's real. What politicians and the media do is one thing. The fact is that all scientists researching Global Warming agree that there is infact an anthropogenic (man-made) heating of the Earth.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

True...but Dinosaurs weren't having the same effect on the planet as we are...

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We have had this argument in the past, and I wonder would this be happening either way if we were here or not. We may be contributing to it but are we the only factor.

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

But not all the dinosaurs died. Some evolved. Frankly I think the only thing that could completely wipe us out is the earth exploding (our fault or something elses) or something like a nearby supernova or roving pulsar irradiating us.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We really don't know what will do us in, nuclear war, the sun imploding, or the Earth just giving up.

16. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I, so far, haven't seen any compelling data to show that global warming isn't happening. What do I do?

-Use public transportation and carpool (I don't have a car, so that helps :D)
    -Encouraged my mom to buy Energy Star appliances
    -Keep our house a few degrees warmer than room temp in the summer, and a few degrees cooler in the winter
    -When home alone, I turn off the heat and get cozy with a sweatshirt and blanket
    -Keep lights off as much as possible
    -Buy local produce when I can
    -Unplug electronics when I wont be using them for a while

How much difference am I making? Probably not a lot. But I am happy that I and other people are doing these things. And I am happy every time I see my family's gas and electric bills. :D

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

For the record, the sun won't implode. It is too small. It will irradiate us and then expand, swallowing mercury, I believe. That is going to happen a long long time from now so no need to worry about it.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, the best science to date tells us that Global warming is "real." ...Who knows if we're right, but I'll trust a scientist any day before I'll trust a politician.

However, I fear that these smaller acts to save energy (e.g. switching lightbulbs) may be giving us a false sense of security, and when it comes to the most important changes, we'll be reluctant to commit.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

What do I do? not a lot,but I'm not a big consumer so my energy footprint is fairly small. Essentially until the oil based economies do something major it's just a case of arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic anyway. Armageddon here we come.

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

THe huge amount of people who are employed in research, not just in pure global warming science but also in all walks of life. Examples given in the OP post, after all it is now used as a marketing strategy to get poeple to buy their products or even some people who actually replace working products with newer ones that use less energy :rolleyes:.

And you have seen compelling data to show the case for global warming.

That is the major cause for change I see is to hit people where it hurts the pocket. After all the changes I have made have been purely for financial reasons rather than global warming, if it helps the that is a bonus.

Woah that is a bit far (and very short sighted) to place the blame solely on the oil companies.

I will be doing more than my fair bit to combat emissions when I gain employment.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

As oil prices climb I think we will see a bigger shift then expected.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Psh, every other armageddon people have predicted hasn't come to pass. A good example is how everyone thought we were going to run out of food around the time of the industrial revolution. We didn't. Instead we learned how to modernize our agriculture and feed more people.

Is it going to hurt? Yes. But we'll survive. We're good at finding a way to not die.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Not exactly true. The dinosaurs were killed by massive and rapid climate change. When it comes to the biosphere the cause of the change doesn't matter as much as the change itself.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"there are none so blind as those that do not want to see"

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are swayed by some spivs that want to flog windfarms and energy-saving lightbulbs?