Global warming - request

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cromulent, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm becoming particularly interested in this subject as time goes by but as I am fairly new to it I don't know where to find any good documentation. Does anyone know what the best scientific papers on the subject are? I'm not talking about the political rubbish that invariably follows discussions of global warming - I just want a scientific look.

Any help appreciated. There is so much rubbish published on this subject, sometimes you need a helping hand to get you started.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

There is a guy with the handle of "Nematocyst" over at http://www.thehighroad.us who has been a biology teacher (among other things). He's been studying GW for a long time. He can give you a helluva long list of URLs with technical papers and data.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you're after the primary journal articles Cromulent by far the easiest place to start as a layman is google scholar. It's a wonderful tool which I'm using more and more in addition to the academic databases themselves. It is a wonderfully flexible search tool as you'd expect from google. Unfortunately you'll get some links to papers that are closed source, and if you aren't a member of a university library you may have to pop into one to use their computers to access the journals (or even seek out the dusty old paper versions :eek:).

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

You see that is exactly what I am talking about when I say there is so much rubbish on the subject.

There is no information on the models used to say whether the warming is abnormal compared with natural global warming. No comparison to when the ice caps melted before and no real evidence of any data just an article containing lots of scientific opinion. Maybe the full article is better but unfortunately you have to pay to access it.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

It's just JSTOR. Also requires a subscription.

Your best bet is to go to a University library and see if you can use a guest login to access one of their computers. The computer will be automatically allowed access to all subscriptions that the university tends do. Use a multi-database electronic search tool (in Ontario we have a service called ScholarsPortal) to search for journal articles that contain the specific information you're seeking.

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll either need to subscribe to a journal or get access a Uni library to do the research I want to do. Shame really.

9. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I meant read the entire article. It's over 70 pages and very thorough. It's the best article I've ever read on climate change. You can't just read a synopsis and complain it's not specific. You did notice that it says "Abstract:...", didn't you?

10. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes, if you had read my post you would have noticed the bit where I said "Maybe the full article is better but unfortunately you have to pay to access it".

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Jerry Pournelle's site has a lot of good information on the other side of the scientific evidence for GW (or Global Cooling as it may well be), there's a bunch of other interesting stuff on there too, even if he is staunchly militaristic at times...!

Take a look through the mail section, its a blog effectively.

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Read "Ice Chronicles" by Paul Andrew Mayewski and Frank White

13. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What a horrible opinion piece. Who is Harold Ambler and where does he get his complete misunderstanding of climate science? Even some basic research or interview with a climate scientist would have dispelled his basic misconceptions and misunderstanding.

edit: He owns the blog http://talkingabouttheweather.com/ and appears to infatuated with attacking Al Gore. He doesn't have any scientific credentials. He's a publisher and musician....

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

16. masterapple04 macrumors regular

If you're looking for a lot of different articles, look at Scientific American's web site.

If you're looking for unbiased, this is not the best recommendation I could make, but the science is solid.