glossy black bezel mod instead of chrome for Black iPhone 3G owners!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I've seen pics of the black TiAN iphone mod for the 1st iphone and it looks awesome.

Since the new iphone 3g are already all black except for that ugly chrome bezel. Is there a way we can make that black?

I was thinking about using a black sharpie to color it, but not sure if that would turn out looking ok.

I just want it black. How hard would it to remove the bezel? Perhaps i can spray paint it.

This is what im talking about... but for the new black iphone 3g. Kind of like the iPod Touch. But a glossy black instead. I think the iphone 3g would look perfect with this mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I agree that it would look much better black, but a Sharpie isn't going to cut it.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm so anxious to do this. I wish somebody can sell these bezels a glossy black to match the back. I would definetly pay for this bezel.

I hope installing it isn't too difficult.

I wonder if knightcreating offers this type of service, since he does for the 1st iphones. But the 1st iphones came with the black bezel, black back, black apple logo. With the new iphone 3G all we would need is a replacement bezel.

Please someone out there offer this. I am willing to pay for this.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

All black looks totally awesome. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but maybe you could brush the chrome with a Scotch Brite cloth to give it a gun metal feel. I did to my 1st gen iPhone, that after seeing what this guy did to his, in this thread: :)

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You could always just buy this case and not worry about doing any modification.

6. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

I like it better than the chrome, but I like the brushed aluminum look even more.

8. pflau macrumors 6502

The best thing to do is to take the bezel off and spray it with a fast drying glossy lacquer. But the problem is the bezel is screwed into the back beneath other circuit boards so you are looking at removing quite a bit of stuff.

Or you can try taking off the screen, masking off the back and the interior, and spray the bezel in place.

9. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Remember that the bezel is also the antenna on the 3G iPhone (along with the camera ring and headphone socket ring).

10. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

Dark Knight your iPhone? Here it is!

You can ask this company when they will "Color" the iPhone 3Gs. They are coloring only the 1st gen iPhones. I don't see why they can't color the frame black for your 3G for $20.00 now.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-103-iphone.aspx

http://www.colorwarepc.com

1st gen prices:
    Back = $150
    Bottom = $10
    Frame = $20
    Button = $10
    Logo = $10
    Earbud = $10
    iPhone Dock = $20

I don't know what their turnaround is, but can you LIVE without your iphone for several days? :eek:

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Nah.... The chrome bezel some how imparts a very prestigious, royal kind of look... ya know, makes it feel expensive! LOL

But, Im for chrome!

12. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I want to take the bezel off the Touch, and put it on my 3G. I don't know if it will work though. Any info on this would be appreciated.

13. smithruls macrumors newbie

The touch is a different size the the iPhone and won't fit

14. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yeah that sux. I would do the mod.

15. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Colorware's turnaround is typically 14 days.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

The black might actually look pretty awesome.

I think a dark red matte bezel on a black iPhone would be sexy.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Maybe it's just me, but I don't notice my chrome bezel anymore with my case in place...

19. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I use a case that covers the bezel, but if I didn't, I would seriously use something like colorware to paint it black.

I mean, if you tape off everything REALLY well, you could actually paint the bezel on the phone yourself. Just take your time to tape everything off perfectly.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Another awesome "looks like a how-to but is really a question" post. I want my click back.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It makes the phone look cheap. Like, it's the "all-plastic" prototype from the Apple lab that's filled with foam and doesn't actually work.

It looks less "real" is what I'm trying to say.

22. samven582 macrumors 6502a

My all black Iphone 3G.. I sent mine to colorware. They did a great my the paint scratches way too easy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also selling it since I'm moving overseas. So if anybody is interested please pm for more details.

23. royalty11 macrumors newbie