Gloves are off in Nuclear Pakistan: The new battleground (well…old…but next stage!)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan - Pakistani jets pounded militant hide-outs along the Afghan border overnight as hundreds of thousands of civilians fled South Waziristan…
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33308617/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/
    Looks like an escalation toward a larger scale war than previous skirmishing.

Is this a danger to nuclear stability in the area? What are the chances of full scale civil war and atomic power falling into the hands of extremists? Good idea to pound them? Or better off keeping it hit and run? Scary of relieving?

Discuss… :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Anyone that has done any research in the filed of Pakistan/India and nuclear war knows this is going to have little affect on something that will not happen.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-thegoldenmackid

I think you just verbally poked a hole in the universe - or at least, my brain.

4. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, perhaps it’s just that the Taliban have got fed up with getting killed so much in Afghanistan that they figured they’d move and go do battle in Pakistan so they would at least do more damage to goal targets.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You don't know anything about the middle east do you? The Taliban (which is a massive grouping of many many smaller groups) have been in and control much of Pakistan and have for years. The Pakistani Government only controls 38% of the country. The bombing that just happened is in the federal tribal zone where they aren't really supposed to be.

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update…

Homeland security commissioner says that recent Taliban and group attacks are an act of desperation.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33350980#33347156

As such, it seems Pakistani forces are mobilizing to surround all escape and supply routes to the stronghold while US are rushing in supplies, equipment, and craft into the area.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33339684/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

I wonder if the US and NATO are actually going to drop ground forces also to get a piece of the action too. If so this would appear to be a new frontier for the war on terror over the horizon. But, either way it looks like there will some major battles coming soon within the next days.

If this actually becomes a “finishing move” sort-of on the insurgency, where else can they establish a major stronghold? Or are they just going to spread out and have a whole bunch of little ones.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Like I said before, the Taliban hold more of Pakistan than the government itself does. Now, if we are talking Taliban terrorists, thats a whole different story.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why are we talking at all besides trade wise? If they have some commodity to trade at a better rate than we get somewhere else lets do it.

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Are you serious or did you just forget to add the winking smiley?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, capitalism has you on lock doesn't it? :rolleyes:

11. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I don't get is why do they announce things such as these in advanced. Is it because it's impossible to mobilize ground forces without them knowing anyway? Or perhaps to warn civilians to flee the area?

Either way, it just give the insurgents amply time to slip out of there and perhaps even take all thier equipment with them. Unless you have US planes waiting by to bomb random convoys in assumption that they have weapons and militants...like in the highway of death in Kuwait.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its about time the govt got off its lazy butt and started doing something about the taliban. I was wondering how many attacks they were going to ignore? We gave them how many billions and what have they done? Maybe they are getting it slowly..ever so slowly.

13. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe that's the new way of getting "aid" from America.

"Hey, we fight terrorists too! But we need money, arms, food, apple pies!"

So before long, the "US Aid" will be used against the US itself in one continuous cycle! :D

14. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

It is impossible to defeat and/or completely eliminate groups like the Taliban.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It would be as well for some of our more gung-ho members (you know who you are) to read the following, which shows just how much "control" we have in Afghanistan. Using the word "terrorists" to describe the Taleban, or describing current operations as part of some nebulous "War on Terror", is missing the point and dooming any countermeasures to failure. What is going on in Pakistan and Afghanistan is not "terrorism" but a civil war. The Taleban constitute a parallel state, complete with police, taxation, governance of all kinds. The so-called Afghan "government" is akin to the "government" in Somalia, restricted to a minute area of control and entirely dependent on foreign support for its existence. Until this is taken on board, no amount of bravado and ignorant bluster is going to help.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/the-british-base-called-stalingrad-1804764.html

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with skunks assessment and in fact was going to use the term civil war earlier but then changed my words. There is a civil war going on and we are choosing sides and sending billions but lets be honest. One side has nukes the other doesnt so who do you think we are going to support? One side is wrapped in extreme religion who will use children as human bombs and kill woman for going to school again which side do you think we are going to support? Whats the solution? I dont think letting the extremist win and have those weapons is a solution.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Iran officers die in suicide attack

this civil war isn't just in afghanistan and pakistan.....iran has its own problems with tribal groups in the area where the three countries share borders. From a report today by al jazeera

from another report on the bombing, this one from the AP posted at the Huffington Post

18. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I depends on what you mean by “defeat”. I mean, there are still Nazi’s and white supremacists around. But do they have a real impact anymore since Hitler was defeated and many of them executed? It’s hard to completely eliminate any political movement, but you can bring them to a state of ineffectiveness by eliminating those that have influence and defeating the spread of the ideology both with and without force.

19. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Why do you get so excited when people die? :(

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

He's a warmonger death and destruction turn him on.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Apparently women aren't supposed to learn over there. What a group of *******s. :rolleyes:

23. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well...according to some of the students it wasn't them. It was some sort of "conspiracy".

Many students did not accept that militants were responsible for the attack and instead blamed shadowy forces out to discredit Islam or weaken Pakistan — variations of conspiracy theories that are often heard here after bombings.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/pakistan-shuts-schools-after-university-bombing-1806540.html

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

25. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

91 killed in blast at crowded Pakistan market
    Bombing at Peshawar bazaar coincides with Hillary Clinton’s visit to country

The bomb destroyed much of a market selling bangles, dresses and toys that was popular with women and children.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33503576/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

You mean Women and Children!