GM once again top dog

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Jul 20, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I most likely won't ever by a GM vehicle, but I do applaud this:

Link

Video included in link

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

meanwhile somewhere else:

Opel sales down _15%_ compared to last year ... making it the brand with the highest losses in market share

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

The solution is obviously to bring back oliver

[​IMG]

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

The way it's been for probably 7 years now is to just do great in North America, Asia, and to some extent South America to off-set poor results from Europe. It's just trying to minimize the loss from Europe as much as possible (or if lucky, break even/barely profit).

5. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

It was kind of sad to see Pontiac and Saturn get the axe, but I think it was for the best. The company was far too bloated and unsustainable considering the overall business model. The approach with cutting off the fat worked pretty well in turning the company around, I'll give them that much. Saturn was devised to compete with foreign automakers by GM, which seems pretty inappropriate considering the obvious solution would be to adapt the existing lines to compete efficiently. Pontiac mainly was marketed as a performance division of GM. The corvette and camaro perform this task well enough in modern times, not to downplay the historic significance of Pontiac. And then there's Oldsmobile, which GM neglected to efficiently market for the longest duration of time. I think branding ultimately splintered the company image at large in retrospect, which didn't help at all when things got rough. The lean nature of the Ford Motor Co by far was the most impressive success story of the economic downturn. I think other auto manufacturers should take heed to their respective business structure in order to remain resilient and self reliant even in the face of economic ailments.

Edit: Also I am aware that GM is a company which distributes and operates in many countries under differing brand names, but if the way they did business stateside reflects in any capacity that of how they may have done business elsewhere- I think perhaps this still applies.

6. jeremy h macrumors 6502

In the UK in the 80's and 90's Vauxhall (Opel / GM) were a powerhouse in the fleet market with the Cavalier and the Astra. GM did seem to lose it here with the Vectra. (The Cavalier replacement).

I was thinking about this the other day. Nobody seems to be buying Vauxhall's (GM) here in the UK anymore with the exception of a few Zafira's (I saw a car I didn't recognise the other day - it was an Insignia, which I guess is the new Vectra, shows how few I've seen around).

However I think something more interesting has happened here though. Until 10 years ago most people drove Vauxhall's, Fords, Rover's, Renualts and Hondas etc. German cars - BMW, Mercs and VW's were around but were considered by a lot of people (myself included) as way overpriced for what you got. They certainly weren't a fleet car.

Now, everywhere I go I see BMWs and Audi's. The few reps I still know are all now offered Mercs, Audi's and BMW's. (Given a choice to impress people would you rather turn up in a Ford or a Merc?). This tells me that German cars have become in real terms a lot cheaper in the past 15 years. Perhaps it all to do with the German economic miracle and that they can achieve production efficiencies other non German companies can't find - but I do wonder if the Euro has something to do with it. We'll find out if the Euro goes under I guess...

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Pontiac yes, it was just really a re-branded Chevy.

But Saturn was unique, and should have been allowed to survive.

Shoot the Opel instead. :p

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Saturn is the symbol of GM incompetence at the time. The brand shouldn't have been created in the first place( though thankfully it killed the FWD Camaro). And now that it was created, they let the brand starve and rot on the vine. Saturn had a following and was growing. The youth market bought them up. But, they let the S-Series go on too long without a redesign and they didn't expand Saturn's lineup( thanks to infighting by the legacy brands). By the time the L-Series, Ion, and Vue came out, it was too late. Not to mention they were crap( until the Vue got the Honda V6). I drive an Aura XR. I like it.

With Pontiac, GM refused to acknowledge that the brand should have become a niche brand back in the 80's. They tried to keep it a volume brand. And what we got was vehicles like the G3(Aveo), G5( Cobalt. If the G5 was only the cobalt ss t/c I could have given it pass), Torrent( Equinox), Montana,etc. The GTO, Solstice, and G8 came too late.

With respect to Ford, they were in deep **** in 2006-2007. The reason they managed to escape bankruptcy was due to Ford mortgaging themselves out to get liquidity in 2007 and hiring the brilliant Mulally. If they hit that deep **** in 2008 like GM and Chrysler did, Ford would have been right there with them asking Congress for money instead of being there in support of them. Ford took a risk in their move and luckily it paid off.

9. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I bought some Ford stock myself. But not nearly as much as I had wanted to due to lack of funds :(

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

11. Queso macrumors G4

Obviously depends where you live. I've seen lots of Astras and Insignias around London. Insignias have been around for a couple of years now. Nice cars to drive, but the styling is a bit of a Mercedes rip-off.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Opel was really hit by the uncertainty of the GM melt down. Between 2008 and 2010 it was touch and go whether they would survive.

Opel has also suffered because all the major European car makers are giving such great deals, and the whole market is depressed.
    Outdated designs and far sharper competition have also played there part in falling sales of Opel.
    But they can take some comfort at least they are not 'British Leyland' :D
    The Euro it's self has very little bearing on sales of German cars as a whole, they are just better made and engineered.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Funnily enough, what's left of British Leyland is actually doing really well.....under Indian ownership. British workers are great at making stuff. It's just that British managers are an utter disaster.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That's true for all of the British companies, is it not.:D

I think I read some place that more than 80 of the top 100 companies in the UK were foreign owned.

15. Queso macrumors G4

They did an experiment on TV here a few years back where they ran a fake competition in four different countries to win a holiday, USA, UK, Germany and Japan. Once they had all the winners in the holiday hotel they gave them all the same set of tasks to do, with secret cameras filming the results. Each group was there on different weeks so that there was no crossover, and the whole point was seeing how the different cultural groups coped with the situations presented to them.

The Brits on the show were completely true to form. Everyone joined in, everyone had a laugh, everyone played a part in the results of each task, but the results were always terrible :D

I actually came away from watching it rather pleased. We are crap at stuff, but we can laugh at how crap we are.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that is what we miss here in Europe sometimes is a sense of humour.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Whether you like Bush or Obama or not or whether you agree with the bailout or not, you have to admit that this is a huge success for both presidents (Bush began the bailouts despite huge resistance from his own party).

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

True. I think Bush's administration in general was a disaster, but I did like the fact that towards the end he stopped listening to Cheney and the other hardliners and started doing what was right. I have to give him that.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If Germany were to leave the Euro today, tomorrow, the new German currency would skyrocket in value, much like the Swiss Franc has. The spendthrift, Irish, Portuguese, Spaniards, Italians and Greeks are what makes German cars affordable. Well, that's not totally fair to the Germans as they've made enormous progress in keeping wages fair while encouraging entrepreneurism.

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It honestly surprised me, but it definitely showed a change in his ideology and virtually everyone in his own party was against it. Both presidents handled that issue well and there are thousands of American jobs that were retained because of it. While I am for limited government intervention into the corporate world, this type of intervention is the good type given desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures and literally thousands (hundreds of thousands actually) jobs were at stake. It's also one of the few true dual-party successes in recent time and it will probably be something that gets noted in future history books given how serious of a situation it was, and how strong of a turnaround came about (although I wish they would have kept Pontiac).

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I find this really surprising because I've been seeing more Chevys on the road in my neck of the woods. Especially with the Chevy Cruz. I love that car. I want one. :)

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I can't really be surprised, the company didn't really restructure. They have the same business model that put them under in the first place.

Yeah I see a lot of Chevys around, but I guess I always did. Mostly Malibu's (I've driven them as rentals and hated them), there have been a lot of Chevy Cruzes' around too, and what caught my eye is the sonic (reminds me of the Honda Fit which I love). I don't see as lot of new Chevy pickups lately though, but have seen a lot of new Ford trucks. I wonder if that's where they are lacking.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

His whole article is based around one car. The Nissan Leaf isn't doing too well. Nissan is heading for bankruptcy..... See how ridiculous that statement is? The commentary is a joke. GM did mess up with launching the Eco version first. Put up against full hybrid vehicles, get slaughtered for not matching the fuel economy. Compared against regular models, it's too expensive. They put themselves in a no win situation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu...-not-another-bailout-will-fix-general-motors/

I believe it was 75% of GM's fleet sales were to the government, which is only about 30% of GM's total sales.

And before anyone brings up what that Fox News idiot said about 93% of GM's sales being sub-prime loans, it is one of GM's financing arms that is doing it which is only about 8% of GM's total sales.

And new GM trucks are coming out next year. Reason for the slow sales of the current ones.