GMail added a bunch of crap to my message, threw it back at me and called it spam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 0dev, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I just sent an e-mail from my iPhone using my GMail account. The recipient also has a GMail account.

Basically, the first time I tried to send it, it told me the delivery had failed and it'd saved a copy in my outbox. I hit the refresh button and it appeared to have sent fine. Indeed, when I go to the sent box, it comes up with the message just as I typed it.

However, I got a message from Mail Delivery Subsystem which said:

The help page it links me to says my message was spam. What follows that is a bunch of random stuff under the heading of "original message". There's some header information about what IP the message was sent from and what client I used, then there's some "references" which lists, oddly, what looks like a BlackBerry BIS server, despite the fact I've had my BlackBerry off for days and have not used it at any point in this e-mail conversation, then a bunch of GMail servers and so on. It goes on for ages.

Now, to add even more of a twist to the tale, I just came on my laptop to write this, checked my GMail online, and apparently the message did send the first time. It sent just fine. As it should have.

Does anyone know what happened here? I ask because similar things have happened before where that e-mail full of header rubbish did end up being sent to my recipient, and I guess the spam filter thing is Google's way of stopping that, but what exactly causes it? Do I have an issue on my end corrupting my e-mails?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's just one e-mail. You've already spent more time on this issue than it's worth.

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

It's happened to a bunch of my e-mails over the past few years and I'd like to stop it if possible.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Tell Google?

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Looks like I'll have to. I was just hoping someone else here would have had the problem as well and been able to fix it, but I guess not.