Gmail does not sync correctly - Only me? - Update 8 months later!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Piggie, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, I've tried it for a week now, and I don't think Gmail syncs correctly.

It's not Bad, but there are 2 issues I will bring up.

1: It totally ignores some emails I have in Gmail and just totally refuses to display them on the iPad

I stored the emails in a folder (the folder shows up both on the web and the iPad) There are 8 messages in there, only 4 show up on the iPad.
    I can move all 8 of them to a different Gmail, folder, again, only 4 of them will display on the iPad.

2: Much more importantly. Deleting emails on the iPad does not delete them. It just moves them to the ALL MAIL folder on the desktop.

If I delete them from my desktop PC they are gone, if I delete them from the iPad they are not deleted, but just moved.

I did some googling and found other had seen the same thing happen and wonder why their gmail account was almost full up with stuff they thought they had deleted.

Not Impressed I must say.

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I am having issues too. I have my gmail set up under the active sync and emails seem to disappear sometimes from the iPad.

3. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

Are you using google sync via Exchange? I've noticed that it has become very unreliable lately. I haven't found a fix for this so I am just using IMAP for now.

4. Sebby macrumors 6502a

When I first setup my Google Apps account as Exchange, I had lots of problems. So I removed it and added it again, and it's been flawless since.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No issues for me. Setup as Exchange so I can sync contacts and calendar too.

6. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, I was told to go this.

First I used the Google mail option on the iPad (well it seemed obvious!) but was later told this was wrong and you should use the exchange option and add your gmail info in there.

As I said, it generally works apart from it just plain does not see some emails that are there on the desktop Gmail.

And deleting them on the iPad does not delete them, it only moves them into ALL MAIL within Gmail.

I guess it's normal, but I don't know why it checks for mail ever single time I look in different folders on the iPad, all seems a bit odd. I'd have thought it would check and that would be it, but as I move around folders, it checks again and again and again for mail in each folder as I go.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would recommend deleting all the Google accounts, rebooting the iPad, and setting it up again.

8. JulianL macrumors 65816

I don't particularly like the built in mail app and I don't entirely trust Gmail syncing, especially when it comes to labels and in particular multiple labels on the same email which is something I use a lot.

I've ended up accessing my google mail via a permanently open tab in my web browser. I use icab mobile as my browser so I can set the browser user agent string to what I want so I set it to IE8 so that the gmail web site doesn't automatically detect an iPad and give me the iPad view (which I also don't like for the same reason that I don't like the built in mail client). I force the web view to the simple HTML view and, although it's a bit clunky when doing labelling, it works best of all the options for me.

I still think that there's an opportunity for someone to come out with a native GMail reader that would handle all the notifications and offered a range of interface layouts so that it could emulate the traditional desktop browser layout as well as the "trying to be too clever for its own good" (in my opinion) iPad mail reading format.

- Julian

9. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I was going to do a fresh post about this, but noticed I posted almost the same thing last June!

So an update as to my Gmail annoyance and perhaps someone has a better way to fix this now:

Here's my experience today.

1: Woke up and reached for my iPad and checked for new Gmail using the standard email app on the iPad.
    It said no new mail.

2: Minutes later I turned on my PC and checked for Gmail and had about 6 new mails.

3: I then turned my iPad back on and behold the new mails then appeared on my iPad!

Weird I thought.

4: I deleted some mails on my PC, checked on my iPad, did refresh ect, and the mails are still there on my iPad. Actually there are mails there I deleted a week ago from gmail using my PC !

5: I delete a new email on my iPad and it does indeed disappear from the INBOX on Gmails web site, however it does not get sent to the BIN, it gets sent do the ALL MAIL folder, it's not viewable in any other folder.

So to sum up....

iPad did not get new mails till I viewed them on my PC.
    iPad is still displaying emails totally deleted from Gmails website.
    iPad cannot delete mails but sends them to ALL MAIL folder in Gmail instead.

Sounds screwed to me !

10. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

So to sum up...you don't know how to set up Gmail Active Sync on your iPad. Apart from one or two e-mails not giving me notification they had actually arrived, I have absolutely no other issues whatsoever.

11. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I have set it up, or rather I did set it up, exactly as instructed back then.

If you can point me to a better way to set Gmail up with the iPad email app then I found be happy to follow any guide.

When I 1st got my iPad I believe I followed the guide by clicking on one of the 3 options in the email program. That did not work 100% and then I believe I was told it would not work correctly if you did it that way, and I followed a guide to do it the more correct "manual settings" method.

Does anyone else here use Gmail on their iPad using the iPad's email app and it works perfect, so that when you delete an email on the iPad it appears in the BIN folder on the Gmail web page?

Also, any emails you delete on the Gmail web page, get removed from the iPad's email client the next time you check for mail?

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need to do some reading up on how Gmail Active Sync works on iPad, because your understanding of it is incorrect.

13. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Stupidly, I assumed that when I deleted an email to trash on the iPad the email would be deleted, and when I deleted an email on Google web page the email would be deleted also from the iPad the next time it synced.

Is that not the whole point of syncing email that deleted emails get deleted?

Or rather moved to the BIN folder in Gmail.

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

When set up as an imap account, you have the option of delete sending to trash or sending to archive - but when you use exchange, it defaults to delete sending a document to the archive. Seem to remember there being a note about that on googles page running through the setup instructions for push gmail. threw me off the first time, but once you know that's what its doing, it's not a big deal. If you want to move messages to the trash, you can just hit move to folder, and select trash.

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I agree, as I have none of your issues with G Mail on my iPad;)

16. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Luckily, I have not experienced any of the issues highlighted here.