Gmail EAS back to IMAP Exp - Review?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by E2EK1EL, Mar 22, 2013.

1. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Since Gmail now doesn't accept new EAS connections on any new non-Android devices, has anyone here swapped out or recently upgraded their iPhone to the iPhone 5 and lost their EAS connections?

How has it been switching back to Gmail IMAP? Does it feel strange to be fetching your emails every 15 mins?

----------

I'm trying to keep this IP5 as long as I can, even if something goes wrong and it can be repaired from a repair shop, I will do it. Heading to Apple, the device will be swapped to a new device and I will lose this Gmail EAS connection. I'm thinking of even skipping out on the 5S maybe, I will miss the new hardware and camera upgrades. Unless Apple is willing to repair it, it's maybe worth waiting 3 or 4 weeks for it?

I don't want to use a 3rd part app or the official Gmail app for notification alerts purposes, I've used the Boxcar app back in 2009 when Gmail didn't support EAS and rather have the real EAS connection.

2. Godf1st macrumors regular

Imap sucks coming from exchange/push. I actually gave up gmail because of this and switched over to icloud mail or outlook for push sync.

3. E2EK1EL, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

I have one main iCloud email, 3 Gmail EAS & a classic Hotmail EAS (not converted you outlook yet).

Is it possible to set and replace those 3 Gmail emails as iCloud emails? A total of 4 different iCloud emails loaded onto one device?

My contacts and calendars events are all exclusive to my primary iCloud account and the other three will be strictly for email purposes.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I prefer it, and have for a long time. EAS still works on my handset, but I voluntarily have chosen to switch.

CardDAV is more accurate, syncs more fields than EAS.

IMAP supports editable drafts.

The only negative is the mail app isn't ready and waiting fully updated when I open it. There is a brief lag when I open it for it to sync. But that is an ok tradeoff for the above two pluses.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've switched over as well to IMAP from EAS. I miss the push, but not enough that I'd hang on to a device till it's old and decrepit JUST to keep push. If I really need it that badly, I'll either fork over the $5 a month, or switch over to the Gmail app.

For stuff that really, really needs right-away notification, I've moved over to using my iCloud account for that.

6. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

If I skip out on the IP5S (pretty sure 90% at the moment), it would be impossible to skip the IP6 in 2014.

(I have a buddy who's kept his 3GS since 2009, recently got the IP5 and gotta respect his efforts in not upgrading. I won't be able to hold back that long)

7. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

Noob question.

The "email push" feature of Gmail is no longer being supported on iOS exchange for new iOS devices?

Can I still use the exchange features to sync my contacts and calendar events? Or are they lost too?

Currently on my iPhone 4, I have an exchange account set up where I sync contacts, calendar events, and email. I don't use the push feature for email, I have it setup where it just fetches my email every 15mins.

I am more concerned with my contacts and calendar events. I am constantly adding new clients and events form either my iPhone, laptop, or tablet. They sync across all devices and I love it.
    I hope that I don't loose that feature when I upgrade the next generation iPhone.

So if I upgrade to the new iPhone (when ever it is released) can I still set up an exchange account where I can sync contacts and calendar events? Mail I usually fetch.

Thanks is advance.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Google has discontinued EAS support for all Google account users save for paid Google Apps. It you try to setup services on a new device you have to use IMAP for email, CardDAV for contacts, and CalDAV for calendar.