Gmail Exchange no longer supported?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deraj090, Mar 3, 2013.

1. deraj090 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just got a replacement iPhone 4S. Tried re-activating my Gmail Exchange, only to find it no longer works. Did Google officially stop supporting new Exchange activations? Is the only workaround to use the Gmail App?

Thanks!
    J

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

millions of threads on this. and yes. get a new device, lose exchange.

3. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, well that sucks. Thanks.

Installing the app now... Dreading it.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

personally, screw the app and set it up as a proper IMAP in your internet gmail settings, then set up using the stock iOS email app. it allows for labels/folders just like exchange did and even though i have it set on 15 minute fetch, i usually get emails within 2 minutes. pretty decent compromise.

5. altjx macrumors member

OP, I am curious to know what your ultimate solution will be. I also just got a new iDevice yesterday and found out that I could not get to my gmail account except for the one that my school is using. I was pissed off severely when I realized this.

I've seen the gmail app awhile back when it first came out and it was absolutely horrible. I also don't want to check my mail in two separate apps either...

I've heard that you can pay $5/mo to continue using ActiveSync, but I am not sure it's worth it for me. If not that, then perhaps using another mail account? Not sure.

6. Baggio macrumors 6502

If you are willing to pay $5 a month, you can upgrade your account to a business account and Exchange will be supported.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I setup a Microsoft Live account with my Gmail address and had my mail forwarded to Outlook.com. I then setup my account in iOS as an Exchange service with m.hotmail.com but with my Gmail address and now I get Exchange push mail for my Gmail account. The primary downside is that Gmail features like labels don't work but they didn't work with iOS before either. The other downside is using Outlook.com instead of Gmail.com but, hey, it's Google's fault for removing my push mail option.

8. altjx macrumors member

Just for clarification, when you say you have to use Outlook.com, do you mean you have to use Outlook.com any time to check your gmail account manually (even from a desktop browser)? Or you mean just for the settings?

9. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Are you guys talking about gmail push on iphone?

Mine is working. Setup as exchange and the server is m.google.com

10. altjx macrumors member

Correct. It's working now -- but if you delete the account and re-add it, it probably won't work. At least this is what I've heard.

Currently, gmail push is working on my iPhone 5 but it never worked on my brand new iPad 4th gen even with the same settings. Apparently January of this year they disabled Exchange ActiveSync for free gmail accounts. I'm assuming that, eventually, free accounts will all be using either IMAP or the free gmail app.

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I had my mail forwarded to my Outlook.com account and deleted on Gmail so I didn't have to manage my mail in two different locations so yes, I have to login to Outlook.com to see my mail in the browser. However, I use Outlook (part of Office) at home anyway.

12. altjx macrumors member

Ah, ok. Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Sure. :) I have to say, Outlook.com really isn't that bad. I prefer the Gmail interface for a lot of things but their webmail interface is functional.

14. altjx macrumors member

Yeah, lol. I'm actually thinking about considering it. It seems like it's mostly forwarding though, so I'm wondering if I could still use the regular gmail interface for desktop browsing and just use the forwarding outlook.com account for reading/sending mail on my phone.

In theory, it sounds like it'd work; however, I'm too lazy to be bothered with it right now. Can't believe Google did this to us to begin with. >_<

15. Rayban macrumors regular

Rayban

Just got my iPhone 5 a month ago and setup my gmail account on my phone using their exchange server and it works perfect. Not sure what their protocol is for shutting down their free exchange server...

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I understand why they did it, but it does blow. Ironically in not wanting to continue paying M$ for the licensing fees to use ActivSync, they drove me to a Microsoft product.

You can do what you're talking about, but I think it'll get messy managing your email in two different interfaces. That's why I set mine to delete after forwarding; don't want to mess with my Gmail account in two different places.

----------

I tried it two weeks ago and it would not work; it wouldn't authenticate me for m.google.com.

17. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

not quite.....

people that had their accounts and devices set up as exchange prior to januar 30, 2013, it will still work as expected. if they then get a new device or new email, set up after that date, it will NOT work.

my ipad and ipod still have working exchange gmail. however on my newly replaced iphone, it no longer works.

18. altjx macrumors member

True. Good point in regards to the potential confusion that could arise. I may just end up leaving it set to IMAP for now. Guess I'll just have to deal with some fetching for awhile... Lol.

19. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I missed these messages yesterday. For now, I'm using the Gmail App on my iPhone and still have the Exchange set up on my iPad. Truth-be-told, I've actually always had the Gmail App installed on my devices, as I am constantly searching for emails dating way back, and the "search the server" feature on the Exchange server just wasn't quite cutting it.

I'm getting used to the Gmail App (considering IMAP, but I prefer true push email), and may switch over my iPad, as well, for synergy purposes. Not sure it'd be worth the $5/month, but I'm considering that too.

20. altjx macrumors member

Gotcha. I might go ahead and give the Gmail app a little old try in a few moments... Bleh.

21. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

Bleh is right. It works fine, it just feels weird using it -- almost cartoonish. I haven't experienced any major glitches or bugs, etc. though, so no complaints on that front.

22. altjx macrumors member

Haha. Well that's good to know. I know initially a lot of people complained about a lack of this, and a lack of that. I'm currently using IMAP right now and I feel like I've stepped back a couple years. Heh. Thanks for the feedback man.

23. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I can't stand the Gmail app, and that's coming from someone who just returned to iOS after a year with Android (Skyrocket > Nexus 4). I have always thought that the native email app in iOS got the job done very well; it's just a question of finding the right service to get the support you want.

24. blue43fan macrumors regular

I just ran into this exact same issue, and the solution I've come up with is to forward my gmail inbox to my iCloud account. My inbox gets pushed directly to all of my devices again without having to use the crappy gmail app. As long as you don't send or receive a lot of emails about barely legal teens, I think this is the way to go.

25. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

When you send emails what address does it come from? I considered doing this too but I couldn't find a way to get email to send *from* my Gmail address with iCloud.