Gmail Exchange Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Can some confirm what I'm afraid I know the answer to be...

My iPhone 5's power button stopped working...Apple replaced it without question. I was aware that google removed exchange support, but I thought I was grandfathered in...I guess I didn't read the fine print and see that it was only for my old devices. ;(

Basically, not having push support is not an option for me. So I looked into Gmail for Business thinking that that was an option. I don't care about paying...I just want push. However, after signing up for the trial, it seems that I'm unable to keep my current @gmail address for the business account to give me exchange access...is that correct?

Is there really no way, paid or free, for me to get push gmail on my iPhone through the native mail app? (And no, I'm not using the gmail app...I have two other exchange accounts I have to keep up with)

If not...anyone have experience with the new Outlook email accounts, because I'm going to have to switch...

2. sdmcwilliams, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Google no longer offers this for new devices or devices that have been restored. That's the entire point of the OP's post.

4. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

I didn't know that. I just searched and found the article. That sucks!

5. jer04, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

yea i tried that business one as well, couldn't figure out how to keep the gmail address instead of a personal domain...:(

i tried outlook, it works really well if you don't care about using email clients on your computer. outlook.com supports exchange, but it's activesync, which is only available on mobile phones. on desktop, pop3 only.

then i switched to icloud mail, along with my contacts and calendars. it didn't work well for me as icloud constantly loses some of my emails!! i couldn't figure out why. (i have seen reports about how apple filters and removes email with certain keywords without even asking you and won't even show up in the junk mailbox. however, those emails i lost weren't even close to that.) :mad:

you can try the gmail app on the app store. it provides push. i personally don't like it, so i have to get my personal emails via imap now. i leave my contacts and calendars on icloud, so at least those two can stay synced across all apple products i have.

6. Beelzbub macrumors regular

Outlook.com works well and you can use Outlook on your desktop by installing the Outlook Hotmail Connector for free, giving you Exchange like service and just forward your gmail to your Outlook.com address.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...k-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx

You can even use you're own domain name name with Outlook.com and have email for your own domain name for free, which is something Google no longer offers.

http://domains.live.com/

This is what I have done for my wife and I and we basically are using Exchange for free for our domain, using the Outlook Hotmail Connector for our desktops and using Exchange Active Sync on our iPhones and iPads with no issues and everything is always in sync, calendar, contacts and email.

7. chuffman15 macrumors regular

i use the gmail app. it pushes emails instantly to my phone. its a little buggy but it works.

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502

You could always use one of the alternative unified clients, like Boxer. It interfaces with Exchange 2007 or later and supports push.

Not a recommendation.

9. srgz macrumors member

So, I recall reading that el goog was ending exchange support on July 31st -- then I read the fine print and apparently it's only for "new users" -- whatever that means. Anyway -- tl;dr version, I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from an iPhone 4, and it still works.

I don't know how or why, but it still works.
    I don't see how they can tell if you're using a new device, but I guess every EAS login has to come from a unique device ID that they must log somehow.

Either way this is stupid...I don't get why it's working for me with my "new" device, and why the OP's new device DOESN'T work, and why they just can't keep supporting it anyway foreveryone.

10. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Well I'm jealous...but this is certainly the exception and not the rule.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of unhappy 5S/5C owners tomorrow when they realize this for the first time...

11. archdelux macrumors 6502

Yup gmail suddenly doesn't work on the 5S...so really no option to get push gmail on the iPhone native app?

12. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

I forwarded gmail to outlook.com and setup outlook.com to send as gmail. Now I get push. I even added outlook.com as an exchange (manually) so I could set the email address as my gmail so it displays correctly in the From field on phone.

You really can't tell the difference other than using it on the web/folders instead of labels.

----------

Are you sure about this? You set it up as an exchange and not by hitting Google in the add account list?

It was always per device...on a new phone you'd have to go to the sync website and tell it would calendars, etc to sync.

13. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

So how exactly do you set this up?

If I want to setup Outlook.com to send as my gmail (and NOT sent "on behalf of"), then I have to set it up to Send and Receive my gmail....but then the receive is only POP and not push (plus you wouldn't need to forward email). So how do you have this working?