Gmail/Google sync/iCloud setup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tranceFusion, Nov 28, 2011.

1. tranceFusion macrumors member

I'm a previous android user so I have a couple of questions about how to setup my Gmail, google Contact, and Google calendar.

1) If I use the Gmail app, should I turn off syncing in the google Exchange account? I don't want to sync two copies of the emails to my phone.

2) Is there a way to sync contacts and/or calendar to both gmail and icloud? Or do I pick one or the other?

3) Is there anything else I should know about the best way to set these things up?

2. rowley, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

If everything is in google, why do you want to use icloud?
    I'd only sync things in exchange you require, if you are using the google gmail app instead of mail, then sync just contacts and calendar.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have all my gmail things set up as a Google Exchange account for push email, with the same AppleID being my iCloud ID. I don't use any of the iCloud features like calendar, mail, or contacts because it's all hosted through Google. iCloud is essential for the iCloud backup.

4. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

As I said, if you already use Google for all your PIM-type data, stay with it. You'll have a seamless experience in the iPhone. Just use iCloud to backup the rest of your phone's data.

5. tranceFusion thread starter macrumors member

Ok I setup Contact and Calendar only through Exchange and that's working great.

However, I'm getting extremely frustrated with the Mail options. Ideally when I get a new email I would get a non-obnoxious on-screen indication with no noise. I'd love to have a colored LED on the phone body remain lit even in standby but I realize that the phone doesn't have one so that's out.

I know of 3 ways to setup the mail
    1) Mail app as a Gmail account - Push notifications aren't working. Are they supposed to ??
    2) Mail app as Exchange account - Emails are archived rather than deleted
    3) Gmail app - do not appear visually in the notification center

Am I missing something? Is there no way to get a visual push notification AND be able to delete emails?

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Yes there is, setup gmail through exchange...turn off archiving, and they should delete.

I set it up through exchange and I get push no issues.

7. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Why not just setup Gmail through the Gmail option under Mail? That works great...

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep. This is what I do. Exchange in the Mail app, archiving turned off.

From what I've read the G-mail app is pretty terrible. I wouldn't suggest it.

Even Google doesn't suggest that. They say you should do 'other' and then either use IMAP or Exchange.

9. fins831 macrumors 6502a

If you set it up through the Gmail option, you get no push, you can only fetch email or check it when you open the app.

Idk about you, but push email is amazing, I can't live without it now.

10. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Realy, any specific reason? I get emails on my iphone as quickly as i get them on the web and that's how i'm set up.

11. fins831 macrumors 6502a

read post 9

12. tranceFusion thread starter macrumors member

Where do you turn archiving off at? I don't see it under Settings> Mail, Contact and Calendar> <my Gmail Exchange account>. It is only available when I set it up as a Gmail account rather than Exchange.

13. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Does push kill the battery life more than fetch?

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I meant I don't have Archive on with Exchange. I thought I had turned it off, I guess it was just never on in the first place. I didn't realize that.

It depends on how often you get e-mails. So it's impossible to give a general answer that fits everyone.

15. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Thanks, appreciate the help. With push, should I be receiving emails instantly (as quickly as I do via the web)?

16. fins831 macrumors 6502a

With push, whenever you get an email, it would be instant, as in your phone will ring the second your phone downloads the message. I test mine every so often, and I can send a message and less than 4 seconds later my phone rings.

17. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Weird, I just changed to exchange and it takes about 2 minutes for me. :rolleyes:

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes. And that's where the problem is in regards to battery life.

If someone gets 60 e-mails per hour then they'll save battery setting fetch to 1 hour. Then they'll get all 60 at once instead of 1 per minute.

But if someone gets 1 e-mail per day they'd be better off with push because it would push that 1 time instead of checking the server 24 times all day.

Those are extreme examples, but you get the point.

I usually suggest push just because it's more convenient. Battery life is good, but not at the expense of making the phone less useful.

19. fins831 macrumors 6502a

what are you sending, my tests are a small picture, and by the time my outbox clears to sent, i can reach for my phone and it will be ringing.

20. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Got it and thanks. I am sending an email with test in the header. Nothing else and it's delayed for at least 1 min...

21. tranceFusion thread starter macrumors member

I don't really know what you are saying. When you delete emails from your Inbox through Exchange they are Archived and go into the All Mail folder. They are not deleted. There is no way to alter this behavior, that I have found. There is no setting to turn this on or off. It is just on, period.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is not an iOS based behavior, it is set that way on Google's end in how they have the activesync interface configured.

In other words, look to Google to have them change it; it's not an Apple thing.

See these threads for more info:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=0273759a103c07f0&hl=en
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-email-in-push-gmail-override-google-sync-archive-to-all-mail/

23. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Totally agree. I get around this by having a folder/label called iOS Trash and when I want to delete from my iPhone I move it to iOS Trash. Then when I'm on the gmail web, I just delete everything in that folder.

24. tranceFusion thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't it take a lot more effort to move than to delete? Or is there a fancy shortcut I am missing?

25. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yes two extra touches. But it won't be archived when deleted from the folder.