Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGambler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I have been using the mail app on my iphone for my gmail account for over a year. It's actually a Gmail account through my school (@school.edu), if that matters. Now, all of a sudden I get the message, "Cannot get Mail: The User Name or Password for GMail is Incorrect". The password is correct and still works on my computer.

I've done some research on this and tried to delete and re-add the account on the iphone, changing the password rebooting the phone, basically everything you could think of including the "Unlock Captcha" trick, none of which has worked.

I am aware this a known issue and I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution yet? This is a major pain in the butt!

Thanks in advance.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
no it is just something that happens. I get that on me too sometimes. this weekend I had it several times with gmail. I think it is on their end though as I have seen it on home in mail and at work in thunderbird and on my phone. I just hit cancel and wait till things work again.

TheGambler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
no it is just something that happens. I get that on me too sometimes. this weekend I had it several times with gmail. I think it is on their end though as I have seen it on home in mail and at work in thunderbird and on my phone. I just hit cancel and wait till things work again.

Damn, that really sucks. How long does it usually last?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Happened to me yesterday

just turn off the phone and back on .. boom gmail works again

tiffyrad

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
2-step Verification was the culprit

I had the same problem on one of my 3 gmail accounts on both my ipad and iphone...after trying the captcha trick several times, enabling IMAP on my gmail account setting, changing device settings to fetch, and the countless other suggestions I found...the ONLY thing that finally worked was to disable Step 2 Verification on the affected gmail account. My problem is finally fixed after a lot of frustration. Hope this helps someone else!

Go to your account settings on gmail and disable Step 2 verification. You'll get a message that says you now only need a password to enter your account...that solved it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.