gmail now available to the public

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One thing that sucks about this is that spammers are now going to find it very easy to get Gmail addresses... which means that we can expect to see that as a new source of spam. Hopefully, the Google folks will clamp down on anyone suspected of using a Gmail account to send spam. (Just as the Hotmail and Yahoo! folks should also do, but apparently don't.)

powermac99

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
The link you followed to create a Gmail account has already been used to create an account for [email address removed]. Now, its account creating powers are all gone. To create another Gmail account, you'll need a shiny new account creation link. We apologize for the inconvenience.
That is if the public gets to share that one account...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
dotdotdot said:
Somethings weird... its not available? And its a link to a used invite...
Looks like the link was not to an actual story, per se, but to an invite... this thread should probably be whacked, or relinked to an actual story about how Gmail's open to the public.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
It looks like its still private to me. No links on the main page that involve creating an account.

Although, it may as well be public. All the current member have, what, 50 invites. There's no way we can give those all away.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont think its open to the public yet...still says BETA under the GMail logo....and people still have invites....

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Yeah, I still have my 50 invites, do unless they just haven't taken those out yet, it isn't open.
Also, the beta thing is still there, even after I clear out the old cacheroo.

Pugdawg1

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
Elko, Nevada
question

Since you are talking about gmail.. maybe you can answer my question. I'm pretty new to it, have had it a week or so.. I like it, but one problem ~ when someone sends me an email, with a photo in it, and I try to forward, what comes through, is blank. No pictures, but the words in the email are there. Anything I can do about that?

pilzbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
Reading, Pa
Actually If you go to www.google.com you may have a chance to sign up. I just was on google and saw the link below the search box. It is supposedly picking at random to who can get it. Probably if your on a Mac using Safari and Firefox I would assume you have more of a chance than on a Win Machine using IE. But that is my speculation. I have gotten one link on Safari and one on Firefox so far. Not sure about Camino. Haven't tried that. Try hitting refresh a couple times. It may be a demographics thing as well based on your iP.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
pilzbury said:
Actually If you go to www.google.com you may have a chance to sign up. I just was on google and saw the link below the search box. It is supposedly picking at random to who can get it. Probably if your on a Mac using Safari and Firefox I would assume you have more of a chance than on a Win Machine using IE. But that is my speculation. I have gotten one link on Safari and one on Firefox so far. Not sure about Camino. Haven't tried that. Try hitting refresh a couple times. It me a demographics thing as well based on your iP.

have a screenshot? because im not getting anything with either Camino or Safari after multiple refreshes

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Also on the subject, I tried to set up Gmail as a POP account in Mail in Panther. The HELP section said it is possible, even had screenshots on what to do, but it didn't work. Anyone else set this up successfully?

Still prefer .mac, but the IDISK IS SOOOOOOO FREAKING SLOW! C'mon Apple, I'm paying $99/yr! (and the last time you didn't even warn me, you just charged my account a month before it expired!)

Fishes,
narco.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
i find opening gmail in safari is slow.

i have used up 40% of my gmail account so far
everytime i load it up in safari i have to refresh it while its loading or it will just freeze

Adam,

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
PlaceofDis said:
cool, thanks for posting jsw

hmm, wonder why no big announcement?
Soft launch? If they put out a big press release, their servers could get slammed pretty fast. This way, word leaks out slowly and they don't get hammered quite so badly.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
clayjohanson said:
Soft launch? If they put out a big press release, their servers could get slammed pretty fast. This way, word leaks out slowly and they don't get hammered quite so badly.
understandable, but considering the big deal they made when they first created it.....and the fact that they are a public traded company now i would think they would want to make a big splash

ABBailey1981

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
Second Page to the Public Gmail

This page explains why some see the offer and some don't and other info related to the offer. (attached as a PDF)

Attachments

pilzbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
Reading, Pa
Also on the subject, I tried to set up Gmail as a POP account in Mail in Panther. The HELP section said it is possible, even had screenshots on what to do, but it didn't work. Anyone else set this up successfully?
I didn't have a problem. Did you make sure that you enabled POP access in your account settings? As long as you follow there directions it should work. I don't have a problem.

JSW - thanks for posting a picture.