gmail on iPhone

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
How can I set up gmail so that it will do exact actions on the server? My gmail on my iPhone doesn't 'sync' with my gmail account.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
the mail server should be imap.gmail.com for incoming and outgoing should be smtp.gmail.com - This is using imap.

both use SSL

based on your screenshot the incoming is mail.google.com so if trying to setup exchange then it should be m.google.com

----------

I have a question about this! I sometimes get push gmail as pop, but most of the time is pretty much manual fetch! Can someone chime in on this?!
This may just be coincidence - POP and IMAP do not offer any type of "PUSH" service, especially, with the native mail app. this might be shear coincidence that an email is received at exactly your "fetch" time.

As much as I hate the native gmail app, that is the only TRUE method of receiving PUSH email via gmail on your iphone.

Last edited:

Jdem2

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
NJ and PA
I tried Exchange and it's not getting all the email from server. It has my labels however there's nothing in the labels.
When you tried Exchange, what did you set your Mail -> Show settings to?

Also, inside the Mail -> Account Settings, how far back did you set it to Sync? I don't remember the default here but it may be as short as a week.

Check those two settings...good luck!

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
the mail server should be imap.gmail.com for incoming and outgoing should be smtp.gmail.com - This is using imap.

both use SSL

based on your screenshot the incoming is mail.google.com so if trying to setup exchange then it should be m.google.com

----------

This may just be coincidence - POP and IMAP do not offer any type of "PUSH" service, especially, with the native mail app. this might be shear coincidence that an email is received at exactly your "fetch" time.

As much as I hate the native gmail app, that is the only TRUE method of receiving PUSH email via gmail on your iphone.
Well I just dont get why/how i get gmail to push mail without checking my mail! It is like random. However, i rarely get it to push tho!

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
When you tried Exchange, what did you set your Mail -> Show settings to?

Also, inside the Mail -> Account Settings, how far back did you set it to Sync? I don't remember the default here but it may be as short as a week.

Check those two settings...good luck!
Ok if I set longer I should be able to get all the mail and contents in the labels?

Jdem2

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
NJ and PA
Ok if I set longer I should be able to get all the mail and contents in the labels?
I meant to ask you that before.

When you said earlier that you saw the labels but there was nothing in the labels, did that mean that you see To, CC and BCC but that there are no contacts or names in the field?

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Just get the GMail app; obviously Mail is too difficult for you.