Gmail on watch--question for those lucky enough to have already received their watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aak4, Apr 27, 2015.

1. aak4 macrumors newbie

So when Gmail stopped supporting exchange/push, the native Apple Mail app would have to pull e-mails from the server at timed intervals. Since then, I switched to the gmail app, then the outlook app so that I could continue to receive push e-mail. For those of you using gmail, what program do you use on your iPhone and watch now? If you use the native e-mail app on the watch, do you get push e-mail from gmail? Do you use the gmail or outlook app on your iPhone and/or for notifications on your watch?

2. simonx314 macrumors regular

My Gmail appears on the Watch Mail app but it doesn't seem like it's push. I have the Gmail push notifications turned on for my iPhone, so I could forward those notifications to my Watch, to effectively get the same functionality, I would just have to wait a few seconds for the Mail app to refresh once opened.

3. dukejl macrumors newbie

I use Google Inbox for push notifications - I'd def. recommend that over the iPhone Gmail app and you do get notifications in real time.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Do you mean the google Mail app? Since it's a third party app how do you get its notifications on the watch?

5. flur macrumors 68000

I don't have my watch yet, but I use CloudMail, which has push notifications for Gmail, and they've created an app for the watch.

6. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

I have a gmail account and I use outlook on my phone because of the lack of push support. I can confirm that notifications do not get pushed to the watch if you just use the native mail. Outlook offers push notifications to the watch that are pretty nice...gives you the option to Archive, Delete or Mark as Read. The only downside is it won't preview the entire message. Just the first few lines. I believe the native Mail notifications on the watch app let you scroll through the entire message (the watch Mail app definitely does). I was able to confirm that app developers are responsible for the formatting of notifications (even if, like Outlook, they don't have a watch app). I did contact outlook support and requested they would add the ability to scroll through the entire message. I also inquired about a future Outlook watch app and got the stock "we'll pass it on to the team" response. Hope this helped.

7. aak4 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very helpful, thank you. Hopefully, Outlook will update with a watch app that will display the full e-mail. In the meantime (once I get my watch, xx:06:09 am email confirmation and still processing), I might use outlook to be instantly notified and screen e-mails then if necessary, switch to the native app (which I also have setup on my phone, but blocked it from notifying me) to deliver the full message. It's not ideal, but hopefully Outlook will be updated with this ability soon.

8. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Exactly. Me too. Also, someone suggested to me to try the new mail app TL;DR (weird name I know) which supports gmail push and has a watch app. I've installed it but haven't tried it yet. Screenshots look like it may overemphasize the attempt to make email seem more social. But, worth a poke around at least.

9. Nmeyrick macrumors member

The problem seems to be that nobody quite knows what a watch email app should look like so different ones have parts right.

I've tried a couple and so far found outlook the best for notifications - I can use the focused inbox to hey only the notifications I care about, and can screen most emails from the notification. To read the full email on the watch I like cloud magic which also let's got dictate a reply. J also tried tl;Dr but it felt gimmicky, and mymail seemed to be similar to cloud magic but less well implemented.

10. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I use mailbox on my phone, but they don't have a watch app yet so it sounds like I'll need to find a new solution at least temporarily.

Some good ideas in this thread, thanks!

11. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Use the Gmail app. It does not PUSH via the iOS baked in mail app, only pushes out at the manual interval you set it to.

I use the Gmail app and it pushes notifications perfectly, every time.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use Nuevasync, a paid service that will allow you to access your Gmail account via iOS's built-in Exchange account and native email app with push notifications.

Works great. Costs a few bucks a year but totally worth it IMHO.