gmail "pay it forward"

Status
Not open for further replies.

einsteinium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Hey all - I think we should start a Pay It Forward system for members with gmail invites to spare. I am looking to an invite myself and would be more than happy to pass on any I recieve to any other needing members of Macrumors. I propose you just reply to this post to get your name on the list. If you have invites to spare, send them to the most recent names on the list and once you do receive an invite, edit your post noting so. That way we all can get access to the service.

Thanks
einsteinium

hey all. i have a gmail account, any invites i get will be passed on to you guys.

thanks

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I'd like a gmail addy too... to replace my hotmail one that is filled with unsolicited SPAM!

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
yahoo just upgraded their free account to 100MB. that's plenty as far as i'm concerned. i'm not sure i'm getting what the deal is with signing up with google. you can't just sign up you need an invite from someone? are they still testing it? i've been a yahoo user for a while, the spam blocker works great. and now you can recieve up to 10MB attachments and i think send out the same. sure the ads aren't all that slick, but i'm not spending enough time on webmail for that to really bother me.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
edit: Thanks to kentd I now have a gmail account. If/When I receive invites I'll be sure to "pay them forward" to others here on MacRumors.

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
I receive and acted on an invite from a friend 4 days ago. But as yet i do not see any that i could forward. i think there must be some time lag before you get to invite others.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
ifjake said:
i'm not sure i'm getting what the deal is with signing up with google. you can't just sign up you need an invite from someone? are they still testing it?
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/24/154216.shtml?tid=126&tid=137&tid=215&tid=95

And they'll probably keep testing it until October.

I might have to get one seeing that someone from AventureMail.com decided to disable my account without warning...Looks like I'll be sending some emails from Fastmail for a while.

EDIT: I'm not alone! http://3fingersalute.net/aventuremail/index.php
The bastards!

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Count me in too, I'd like an account to replace my hotmail one which is just too small these days.

An invite from someone would be much appreciated :D

**Edit**

I now have a Gmail account - if and when I get some invites I'll be sure to check out this list and see if anyone still needs one :)

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Another thing you can try is to buy an invite on eBay. I just bought one for US$1.75. That is very cheap. There's about 3000 of them right now on eBay and they are all going very cheap ending every minute or so. So, if you got 2 bucks and a PayPal account, you are golden.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i've got an account now thanks, once i get invites i'll pass some on

i'd definitely be interested in this, someone needs to have invitations and get it started.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Count me in too!

If someone has a spare, toss it to me and I'll give my invites out to more Macrumors members.

EDIT: Got one from another source. Don't send me an invite! I will give mine out as soon as I get any.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
radhak said:
I receive and acted on an invite from a friend 4 days ago. But as yet i do not see any that i could forward. i think there must be some time lag before you get to invite others.
You only get granted invites on a random basis and when they increase capacity on the system. You (and me) might be lucky that when they set the next batch of invites we'll get a few of them to send to others. But it's not something that you are guaranteed to get. Simply having GMail does not mean that you will be able to invite others.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
count me in - a gmail account would be nice - get away from microsoft altogether

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I have a spare invite but somebody has already reserved it, but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll have some to spare.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I know many people don't think its right to pay for accounts that will be free in the future, but they really are cheap since all these invites went out. I picked one up on ebay for £1 on buyitnow, and I'm sure you could get them cheaper if you're willing to wait on normal auctions. £1 for my name @gmail.com is fine by me.

If I get any invites I'll check back here, my girlfriend and best friend are first in line however.

Now does anyone know of a way to use it through pop or imap?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Don't think POP/IMAP is possible since they use their web-based targetted ads to generate revenue.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I'm dying for one as well, but paying for one on eBay just seems wrong... I'd rather do it the fair way than let people profit from google...

Sabbath said:
I believe the official answer is that they're looking into it, I'm sure advertising plays a role in how feasible this is, server load probably does as well. I wouldn't expect to see it until gmail goes through it's first major round of public revisions.

paul

edit: Thanks to aus_dave, I will be paying my account forward as soon as I am able to invite new members.

Thanks Dave!

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Sabbath said:
Take a look at POP goes the GMail. For Windows only, though. I've read that they are planning to add POP/IMAP support at some point, but not necessarily for free. We just have to wait and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.