GMail "send as" feature in iOS Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiranmk2, Dec 16, 2012.

1. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I've set up GMail to send mail to look as if it's come from my own personalised email address. This is done by going into settings on the gmail website. However, the only way to get the iOS Mail app to use this feature is to use Google Sync. Previously I just went to http://m.google.com/sync, sign in and toggle the "enable send mail as for this device" box.

Now however the above URL goes to a new page even though all the Google help pages still reference the above route.

http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740&rd=1

Google Sync will be closing to new devices at the end of January and I'd like to get my new phone setup before then - does anyone have any workarounds?

2. kiranmk2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

3. stiwi macrumors regular

Maybe I misunderstand of how this "send as" feature works. I have 7 email addresses setup within Gmail and and I thought iOS Mail app will allow me to choose one of those email address same way as Gmail app. But I can't see such possibility while writing a new mail in iOS mail app.

Can someone help with this?

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

In Settings, have you authorized/activated the Gmail accounts to be used by native iOS email? When composing a new email, tap on the From line and a scroll-box will pop up allowing you to choose which account to send from. I have 7 Gmail accounts, too, and have 3 of them activated on my iPhone.

5. stiwi macrumors regular

I have activated send as feature on the sync settings page: https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/welcome , however on the iOS mail app when composing new email there is no "from" line to click on (like in Gmail app for instance).

Any ideas?

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Perhaps the difference in my situation is that I don't have anything set up to use Google sync or anywhere else. Strictly those 3 active Gmail accounts set up under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts (plus a couple of other email accounts that aren't Gmail.)

The sending address line shows as Cc/Bcc, From: Press that line once and those choices each get their own line. Then press the From: line and you get the rolling box choices.

7. stiwi macrumors regular

Are you not talking about Gmail app, are you?
    I am talking about Gmail setup via Microsoft Exchange and enabling google sync option as mentioned by op.

The option "send as" do send email "as" for my default email set in Gmail web settings, if I disable it, it sends email from my gmail email address ignoring default web based settings. So this works fine. My understanding however was that this feature will allow to choose you which email you like to respond from exactly the same way as Gmail iOS app.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I don't use Exchange, which from what I understand, tends to complicate the process. I don't object to Exchange; I just don't have the need to use it. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear.