Gmail users: do you use the mail application or the gmail application?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emacna1, Jun 14, 2012.

1. emacna1 macrumors regular

When I use the mail application I lose out on push (so I have to open application to receive mail).

When I use the gmail application I lose notifications (I have to rely on the badge on the application icon).

So which do you guys use?

2. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Why do you lose out on push notifications? Mine works perfectly

3. onthecouchagain, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The native Mail application is terrible. Messages aren't fully threaded (Inbox and Sent messages are separated), can't attach (iOS 6 will allow attaching pics and videos only; no documents or anything else), can't quickly switch email accounts (the All mail is only for Inbox). It's just frustrating as heck to use. Anyone who seriously relies on mail either for personal or work -- especially for work -- will find it cumbersome. I certainly do, especially because Gmail on Android is so much more intuitive (easy access to all accounts, full threaded messages, freedom to attach anything, swipe left/right to read the next/previous mail -- everything is just so handy and fluid).

The Gmail app on iOS is a nice alternative to Mail, but still missing some features (like multi-log ins).

And this is semi-related: Don't get me started on the horrible iOS keyboard. Trying to write a full reply in an email is a nightmare. Imagine those "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" texts except on a larger scale.

4. emacna1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure. It just hasn't worked since I set it up.

I agree with you. I hate how I have to click an e-mail, then click the individual reply, then back out to get to the next reply.

5. MimiHome macrumors newbie

MimiHome

Are either of these applications new? Could it be possible something is not proper in the settings?

I love to use Gmail for my business needs. I am curious to hear other comments about the application.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

neither, I use Safari since neither the app or built in app knows how to send alerts for labels properly

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

If I need to search through my Gmail archive, then I'll use the Gmail app. But for everything else and my daily email needs, the stock app is smoother and more functional.

9. Sunsean macrumors 6502

This is sorta how I do it. The native mail app is smooth and obviously much more integrated into ios than gmail, but it just doesn't fit the bill, no threaded conversations, can't star emails, etc...so I use the gmail app as my primary e-mail app, when I want to go through emails, delete, etc...but I still keep notifications on for the ios mail app, so I still get pop-ups for incoming emails. If I want to reply to an email right away, I'll do it from ios mail. Otherwise I use g-mail. Works pretty well. I also just have my ios mail icon hidden away in a folder with badge count off, while my gmail icon is in my primary email app in the dock with badge count on. Basically I only use the ios mail app for notifications and the occasional quick reply.

10. Apple4Ever&Ever macrumors newbie

Only use gmail as a garbage can for spam sign ups, it is only thing it is good for.

11. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Mail app, who needs the Gmail App, its just gmail.com

12. burnside macrumors 6502

Don't you have eventually need to re-enter your password using gmail.com?

I use the mail app since I can quickly access my other 2 accounts besides my gmail account. I like having all my email within a single app.

As for threaded messages, I agree, the mail app way of navigating through them is cumbersome. Sparrow is a better mail app in most regards, although it still can't replace the default mail app because of the lack of push notifications.

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I use the mail app for day to day use and quick checking. I use the gmail app when I want to search for something. It does a much better job.

14. KFujiwara macrumors member

KFujiwara

Sparrow and Mail

I currently use a combination of Sparrow and the standard Mail app. Sparrow is great for handling multiple Gmail accounts, aliases, attachments and search functionality which is why it's my primary mail client.
    I keep my Gmail accounts set up as Exchange accounts in the standard Mail app so I continue to receive Push Notifications since Sparrow currently doesn't support that.

15. d^vid macrumors newbie

There's a Sparrow app for iOS? Thought there's only a desktop edition.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The Gmail app but it's a secondary account that I rarely check.

Nonsense. Completely subjective. Don't just assume that your preferences are universal.

Works much better than my former Android device's stock keyboard did. Now, Swype, on the other hand...

17. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I use the gmail web app

It's very good, fully featured, fast and has multi account support.

I have the accounts setup on my phone for push notifications and just clck a docked shortcut to gmail web for new mail.

18. Dkorda macrumors 6502

19. jimmyjones macrumors newbie

Does anyone think sparrow is worth switching over to completely as opposed to just using the stock mail?

20. Balibalistic macrumors regular

sparrow is awesome!! im jailbroken and use sparrow+ so i get push as well. couldnt live without it now. been a gmail user for 10 years prior. now i can use both accounts and switch instantly.

21. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I use the mail application. I have a yahoo account for junk stuff (such as rewards programs, coupons, etc), gmail account for serious/personal stuff (bills, bank accounts, long distance friends, etc), & exchange for school email. It's just easier to have it all in one place. Sometimes I'll use the Gmail app for search, but it's a hassle otherwise. I'll have to try out Sparrow!

22. rezzo macrumors regular

rezzo

I use Sparrow. Much better than the mail.app and the gmail client.

23. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Sparrow doesn't have push. How do you deal with this?

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow. I am glad this works for you.

But the idea of logging into webmail via a browser seems like a nightmare to me. Having to deal with getting a good connection, entering login and password, etc etc just seems like so much work.

Having the email sitting right on my phone seems so much easier. And for sure easier to find an old email. And, if you have multiple email accounts, then you have to log into each one. I have 4 emails auto download to my iphone and mac.

Then again, some people with computers do webmail vs downloading via Outlook, Mail, or whatever email program they use. I will never get that either.

25. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook