Gmail (with multiple accounts), icloud, gmail in Apple Mail on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stockinvestor, Nov 12, 2011.

1. stockinvestor macrumors member

Hey,

I am not sure i understand the best way to set this up in iphone4s so I will ask you guys.

I have gmail.com as my main mail reader.
    That means i have a xxx@gmail.com adress.
    Furthermore i have several owned domains with xxx@xxx.com emails that i have integrated with gmail.com. All my mails are in other worlds forwarded to gmail.com. I can send from gmail.com using this other emails, without getting the "xxx@xxx.com on behalf of xx@gmail.com" thing.

Now the problem. How do I set this all up on my iPhone 4S in a good way. I inted to use Apple Mail and sync with my mac also with icloud.

So far i have one apple ID for icloud.
    And another Apple ID in the apple store.
    I have enabled imap on google mail so that it works like a exchange, push mail.
    And i have added the xxx@gmail.com adress to my iphone 4s.

1. But how do I get the other xxx@xxx.com emails integrated to my iphone 4s without getting any double mails and stuff? because in gmail.com i just got the others in a drop down menu when i set it up there.

2. And finally, how do I get this all integrated with icloud so that all mails, contact, calendars stay the same on the gmail.com, iphone 4s and my mac?

Thanks for any comments!

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

As gmail is imap it will all sync up. Ie read on phone will be read on pc and it should retain your sent items too.

If your other domains come into gmail then they should push to the iPhone too unless you filter them into folders. In which case go into gmail settings on your computer and go to the imap settings and make sure you check the folders to push too as well as the inbox.

Just use iCloud for everything accept email. Do the same on your mac and other devices.

If you used gmail for contacts and calendar you may need to export and import to iCloud to get it setup.

3. stockinvestor thread starter macrumors member

Well.. so far so good. But i still can not send mails from the iphone from the xxx@xxx.com domains.
    But i can do this from gmail.com
    How do i set this options up in iphone without getting mails in double in the inbox?

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

As far as i know, You can't from the gmail account in mail.app

You can, however, set up each of your other email accounts as separate imap accounts in mail. When you want to send from them, just go to those accounts. So you dont get duplicate notifications, turn auto check for new mail to manual.

P.S. this is assuming that you have gmail set up as exchange (which you should) using push, and the other accounts are pop/imap, *not* exchange.

5. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Sorry forgot about that point.

As last poster advised, this is how I do it too.

I fwd all emails to my iCloud email address. I too have multiple emails gmail and non gmail. It all fwds to iCloud which acts as an instant notification filter.

I then have all my other accounts set up as manual accounts which fetch mail as I open the mail app after a notification.

Seems to work efficiently for me. I think more battery efficient than having 4 different push accounts.

But as pointed out, it is probably even more efficient if gmail has a multiple inbox / account set up. No need to fwd.

6. stockinvestor thread starter macrumors member