Go from an '08 unibody MBP to a newer MBP? Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozziegn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I'm currently using an '08 15" 2.8GHz MBP and I was thinking about trading up for a newer 2.8GHz MBP model simply because of the better battery life.

I could easily sell my current machine for somewhere in the $1500 range. the laptop is in 100% prestine condition and of course I have all the packaging stuff, etc....

so the way I look at it, I'd probably be looking at spending $500 or so after everything is said and done. my question is, do you guys and gals think $500 would be worth it to get:

-better battery life
    -Firewire
    -SD memory card slot

what do you think?

2. veterator macrumors member

veterator

I wouldn't change. It's not worth it to me. Don't you already have firewire? Get a usb adapter for the sd card $10. The extra battery life isn't worth $500 to me.

3. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

- You already have FireWire 800 on the MBP 15.4".
    - SD slot can be achieved by a ExpressCard adapter or a USB adapter

The batterylife it self isn't worth $500 IMO, isn't it a wiser choice and get another battery for your current machine instead? That way you'll get more battery life then the new machine and saving like $350-400.

Save the money and spend it on a bigger upgrade, like the Arrendale CPU's that will be out in the beginning of 2010.

4. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Nein, unless :apple: resolves the connector issue. (doesn't apply if you've no intention of installing an SDD.)
    You have no Firewire in your 15"? (Sorry, I'm ignorant:p)
    I am in the same situation, but my reason for return/exchange is strictly monetary reason (student discounts and promo).

5. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Uh, no. I bought a 21-in-1 card reader for ExpressCard/34 for ~$30 from Amazon. You can get them for even less now. It reads SD, AND xD, Memory Stick, and MMC. You already have Firewire 800.

It is not worth it for the extra battery life. Besides, now is just a flat out bad time to upgrade. A LOT of technologies are right around the corner- USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gbps, etc, etc. Essentially, you would be far from future proof.

6. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

okay, I completely missed the part of me adding Firewire to my extra list. :p

and just like you, I could do the student thing along with the free iPod Touch thing as well. I guess I could ebay the iPod Touch to help pay for the upgrade differences.

I'm just worried the longer I keep my current MBP, the less it's going to be worth as time moves on.

7. rabidadvisor macrumors newbie

Computers (and electronics in general) are one of the fastest depreciating items consumers can buy. The moment you buy one, it starts to rapidly lose value. The best advice I can give is to buy if you absolutely need the battery life, don't worry about resale value.

I would personally avoid this line because they removed the express card and reduced the SATA throughput, what were they thinking? I'd spend that 500 on a HyperMac external battery, which they say gives you a cool 27.2 hours of extra juice.

8. JD92, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really no reason to get a new computer if your current one is only a few months old. I too have an 08 unibody model and I can safely say I have zero temptation in upgrading. It makes no sense because there's so little difference between the new model and the 08 unibody model.

Save your money and way for arrandale/clarksfield.

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Typical, doesn't need a new computer because what he/she has is nearly new (8 months since release) just wants the latest. Why don't you buy an extra battery and card reader and wait till there is a major design update? Computers are tools, not investments to be sold later at the launch of version 3.0 or free iPod.

11. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

12. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

You sir, are one of the good ones. =)