Go Vote!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Folks, we all here have our own take on this election. Now we need to go have our say.

So everyone go vote no matter which side you are on. Headed over right now.

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Go vote, you have nothing better to do.

No matter how you vote, you need to be heard.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Go vote. Posting on MR is one thing. Exercising your right to vote is what really counts.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Voting is one of the things that makes America free. We must exercise this right so that we don't, one day, lose it.

5. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

My two cents is to make sure you vote with your brain & values, not out of fear that any candidate may have strummed up.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Know your rights and obligations regarding any requirement to show voter ID at the polls. Each state is slightly different, and there are some federal laws that apply (often to first-time voters at time of registration). Here's a good website that has details state by state.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The roving MSNBC reporter yesterday, can’t remember his name, stood in front of a bunch of young 20 something people all absorbed on their phones and asked, who is voting, raise you hands. None of them did. The excuse? It’s not my thing. :confused:
    Talk about fail. Hopefully this is not representative of this country’s future.

8. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Voted as soon as early voting opened.

Ya'll get out there and go vote!

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I refuse to VOTE. Why? Because its my right. People need to stop making a big deal about it already.

10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Sorry to hear that.

Great thing about America is, you aren't compelled to do something you don't want to do.

Hope you have a good day avoiding the crowds at the polling places!

11. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Line was around the corner at opening for my local polling location in South Philadelphia.

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

No line for me, walked right in to vote.

Finding my polling place, another matter, all the sudden, on election day, Google can't find SOUTH Old Wire Rd.

Had to backtrack to the house and look it up in Apple Maps.:mad:

13. samcraig macrumors P6

You're entitled not to vote. However people don't need to stop making a big deal out of it. Voting is a big deal.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Went for early voting this time around. I'm 29 and there were some younger people than me who were not only voting, but doing some of the volunteer work.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Skipped the lines today, voted yesterday.

16. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

They kinda do. Its getting ridiculous with all the advertisements, commercials, podcasts, public service announcements. It never use to be a big deal. So why now?

17. DearthnVader, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's always been a big deal, there are just a lot more ways for us to say the same old thing, " Your vote matters".

Our forefathers gave us the means to have our revolutions at the ballot box.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

I voted a few weeks ago by mail as it's how my state does it.. No voting places open today but I think you can still drop off last minute ballots in official drop boxes....

19. Matz Contributor

Matz

“It’s not my thing.”

Sad.

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Ok. I'm trying to keep it civil here. But my mentality on that simply is.. who gives a bleep? That's how I've always looked at it and always will.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Best laid plans of mice and men.

Maybe it is, that you just don't hear any politicians saying things you want to hear?

You're free to protest by not voting, but I assure you, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I often think of starting my own political party, because I hate having to vote for the lesser of two evils.

22. chown33 macrumors 604

That's right, Americans: Dance It Out.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Colorado has an all mail in ballots. I dropped mine and my wife's off yesterday.

I'm working in my county's election office as a temporary election judge. I'm in the counting room where they actually tabulate the votes. Our county is expecting around a 70-75% voting rate and between 50,000 -75,000 ballots to come in today.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

"To vote is to wield authority; it is the supreme authority from which all other authority derives..." --Major Reid, Starship Trooper

Time to let our voices be heard, but don't vote willy-nilly. Vote the issues, not the candidate. As the same Major Reid taught. "Both for practical reasons and for mathematically verifiable moral reasons, authority and responsibility must be equal - else a balancing takes place as surely as current 'flows between points of unequal potential. To permit irresponsible authority is to sow disaster; to hold a man responsible for anything he does not control is to behave with blind idiocy."

We are seeing first hand the disaster wrought by irresponsible authority.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The only thing I will say about that is that if you don't vote, then you also do not have a right to complain about the consequences of not voting. You can't complain about a law you don't like being passed because you didn't cast a no vote against that bill. You can't complain about your representation in any chamber of government: local, state, or otherwise, because you didn't vote.

While it is your right to not vote, INACTION is in and of itself, an action. Your rights have consequences on others, it actually hurts you and others more to NOT vote than it does to vote.

And, it's rather petty. So go vote. It's worth it, most importantly, to YOURSELF.

The More You Know.[tm]

BL.