Goading to Suicide charge in MA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A teenage girl goads her friend to commit suicide, then starts up a fund focused on suicide prevention on the back of his sad case.

Boston Herald Story

Should she be charged with anything? If so, what?

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    She convinced her boyfriend to commit suicide just so she could socially profit off his death? I don't know if I'd call that manslaughter, but it's certainly some sick, psychopathic crap.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Absolutely she should be charged. I disagree with her lawyer. This isn't the gov't trying to put you in jail if you don't try to prevent a suicide. This is her bullying and telling her BF into doing it. She would be a very influential person in his life. How would you react if you're SO told you to do that in his state of mind?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the manslaughter charge that she got was appropriate. I'm not sure if MA has any laws against assisting suicide, but if they do that seems like another appropriate charge.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Probably time to think up a new crime for this sort of sick behavior. Doesn't really fit in with manslaughter, even with: Constructive manslaughter
    (Constructive manslaughter is also referred to as ‘unlawful act’ manslaughter. It is based on the doctrine of constructive malice, whereby the malicious intent inherent in the commission of a crime is considered to apply to the consequences of that crime. It occurs when someone kills, without intent, in the course of committing an unlawful act. The malice involved in the crime is transferred to the killing, resulting in a charge of manslaughter.) since talking someone into doing something isn't really a crime. Or is it? is it accessory to a crime?

6. Huntn, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I can't flatly say telling someone's to kill themselves is a crime, but it is a moral crime unless there are circumstances like the brain tumor girl. Obviously this was not that case. She could be a sociopath,then she's sick too.

7. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

She seems more like a psychopath to me. We ought to have a mechanism for dealing with messed up people, rather than just warehousing them in the old Greybar Hotel.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She's definitely got ... issues. But in this case, I'd throw her in the old Greybar for at least a few years. Her culpability in his death is too great and her actions are abhorrent enough to warrant it.

9. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

So, if someone is standing on the edge of a rooftop contemplating suicide and then the crowd below yells "jump already" and the person does in fact jump, should they also be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Weak minded boy got suckered by an evil chick.

I'd put this in the same category as bullying someone till decide to kill themselves, but probably worse since she used her affection and emotional attachment as an anvil.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did you read the article?

She knew about his threat to kill himself and goaded him to do it on numerous occasions over period of time. According to the story, the boy emerged from is truck which was filling with carbon monoxide, only to be told by the girl, to get back in there. Which he did. And he died.

This was no casual observer shouting jump.

12. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, I did read the article. If we as a society plan to hold this girl accountable for encouraging her boyfriend to commit suicide, I'm just asking the next logical question of how do we apply such a ruling going forward. What is the legal standard? Under what specific criteria would we prosecute someone else for such a crime? Is the requirement repeatedly telling someone to commit suicide or is it just a single occurrence?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd suggest that the random stranger yelling, "jump" is a stupid jerk, but shouldn't be prosecuted.

What do you think?

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I don't know, I just threw the question out there because I don't understand under what legal standard they're prosecuting this girl. I agree what she did was outrageous but how do you qualify that behavior?

15. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think that it's just an unfortunate constellation. Apparently he was suicidal anyway and he met the wrong girl who encouraged his actions. Yes, she knew what she was saying but also he must have been fully aware of his action - suicide. She's not the nicest person on this planet but really, I don't think that manslaughter applies anywhere from a neutral perspective. The sentence "you go, do it!" probably has caused a ******** of crimes in the past, but it rarely would have made the person saying it the criminal.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Quite a bit of that has been established through case law. I'm not sure whether it will actually hold up, but she sounds like a psycho either way. Assuming this isn't a gross mischaracterization, I feel sorry for any man or woman that pursues a relationship with her in the future.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yeah I've seen this case.

On the one hand, she was not the one who killed him. Maybe some sort of accessory charge at the minimum? Because at the least she was there and did nothing to stop it.

She clearly has some psychological issues at hand and I believe NEEDS to be court ordered into some treatment.

Sounds like the young man had a good life ahead of him. What a shame.