God Bless America (was God save America)?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yojitani, Aug 29, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I am a dual US/British citizen, spent most of my life out of the United States, but have been here the last 5 or so years, so there may be some shared cultural values that I am completely ignorant of by asking this question: what is meant by 'God Save America'? I thought for years that it was just some oxygen deprived jingoistic claptrap, but it has recently shown up in some unexpected places. A sticker with a flag and the caption 'God Save America' was appended to a school folder my son brought home. I promptly removed it, thinking it must have been put there by friend or something (turns out the teacher put it there). Then this morning I picked up his football equipment (yes, American football) and the sticker is on his shoulder pads and helmet. :confused:

The phrase implies, by my reading, a) a certain kind of American exceptionalism by which 'God' is assumed to be a protectorate of 'America' at the expense of other countries (why else would one assume God would only save 'America'?). b) a strange atavistic theological conceit whereby 'God' makes certain spatial distinctions based on abstract and human constructs such as the nation state. Am I missing something? It seems that these are things that no right-thinking (right=correct, reasonable) human being would want to be associated with. I am open to correction. In the past I'm sure I've said things critical of this kind of rhetoric on these boards, but I'm beginning to believe that there is something I am completely missing. Some kind of shared language that I am viewing from the outside, if that makes sense.

Also, a more concrete question. Would I be considered some kind of heathen by removing said stickers?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Remove the stickers, then turn up at your next PTA meeting and make a big noise about teachers indoctrinating your children. The last thing America (and the rest of the world) needs is a new generation believing they are the Chosen People.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

More of our own propaganda making us look like morons. And people wonder why Americans feel their entitled to police the world...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I believe the implication is related to that peculiar Mormon conceit that somehow the chosen representatives of the erstwhile mountain-goddess of the Midianites have ended up in the USofA, and have somehow acquired white skin in the process. The shining city on a hill has jumped not only across the Mediterranean, but over the Atlantic too, and planted itself on the Potomac - or is that in Utah? It's a funny old world, isn't it?

5. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

That's just it. Do they? I live a fairly sheltered life in a sense since most people I'm with are as uprooted as I am. Also, if people do believe this, then I wonder what kind of risk I'd be taking by making a noise about it at the PTA etc. meetings.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You risk looking like a crazy nitpicking liberal. However, I do think it's important for you to cause a stir about this. Propaganda like this does nothing but dumb down our youth.

7. Queso macrumors G4

I truly believe that if you do kick up a storm you'll pick up more friends than enemies.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only thing I can think of when I hear the phrase is reverand wright saying "God save America? God damn America!" damn political campaigns.

:p

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That may depend on what part of the country you're in. In the deep south you could be greatly outnumbered.

I've always been disturbed by this kind of phraseology. It's sounds trite and phony enough when people say "God bless America," but..."God save America"? That is indeed propaganda, since it implies that there is some terrible menace (presumably moral) threatening America, from which it needs saving.

The phrase is made worse by the pairing of it with the American flag, another piece of associative propaganda designed to reinforce the mistaken notion that America was founded to be a Christian nation.

Feel free to remove the stickers. They don't belong on anything related to a public school.

And if they're doing this, you might want to ask your kid if they're slipping in any prayers, creationism studies or other inappropriate subjects.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I rarely ever hear anyone say "God save America". If anything, it's "God bless America".

But yeah, if your son's in a public school, definitely raise some hell at the next PTA meeting.

11. stevegmu macrumors regular

I believe the phrase became popular during the American Revolution.

Without evidence, I just don't buy your story about a teacher putting the stickers on folders and football equipment.

Statements like this give me the impression you are just trying to start something-

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

at least its better than God save the Queen lol

13. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

The football equipment was not put on by a teacher. I should clarify that. It was put on by either a coach or the person above him. They are not clearly associated with the school system, although sign up and promotion was done through the schools. I did remove it. And just for you, I pulled it out of the garbage, stuck it on a bit of newspaper, and took a picture with my isight. It's transparent so I had to flip it in preview... and yes, I just noticed, it says 'God Bless...'

The sticker on the folder, well, you don't HAVE to believe it.What would I be trying to start? My impression from the other parents that I have talked to is just that they looked past it. They didn't even notice it and weren't bothered one way or another, hence my question here.

Attached Files:

14. stevegmu macrumors regular

I'm always suspect of those who seem to have such a dislike for America.

I take it you were so offended you will be contacting the ACLU?

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think it is too late for that.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

She'll repay you for your vigilance.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Disliking "god bless America" stickers means you dislike this country?

I guess I hate America then! :rolleyes:

18. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm failing to follow your logic here. At what point did a clear 'dislike for America' become part of anything I've said? I haven't even said anything about being offended. Please make sense.

19. stevegmu macrumors regular

Some of your statements, like us being morons and feeling we have the right to police the world.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that you remain a dual citizen and haven't yet wiped your ass with your British passport while singing God Bless America ;)

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? They are exactly the same thing...

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A slight against sarah palin is not a slight against all americans.

snap :).

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because saving a country is better than one person ha

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Really, they are both as pretentious as each other as they are both blessing the country (as the Queen is our head of state).

The only way you are better off is that god save america and god bless america aren't in your national anthem ;).