God Bless America.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Nov 10, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

This was created and televised (yes, on TV!) at a time long gone. Look at the number of stars who participated in this tribute. Today, it appears almost looks like a Saturday Night Live spoof.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Soon we'll be jailed if we utter the words "God Bless America" ...

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right any day now right after we kill all the gays though.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

only if you say it without the appropriate permit :p

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

What does that comment have to do with a group of actors who were proud of there country and sang "God Bless America", or Maxsix's post? That is a very morbid comment.

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The triggered-by-everything PC wussies are going to be dealt with eventually. They will lose.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Jailed by whom, exactly?

Every US President for the last thirty-some years has typically ended his State of the Union Speech with pretty much those exact words. So I doubt any Attorney General is going to be setting up a task force to prosecute widespread Church-and-State mixing by public officials in their public pronouncements.

Of course, if you want to get into the weeds a bit, the phrase didn't have exactly the most auspicious start: It was first used by Richard Nixon, at the height of the Watergate Scandal - as a means of deflecting criticism of his administration.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That video was made in 1970. But even back then the USA was not a happy place.

Vietnam was still taking lives of far to many young Americans.

Watergate was just two years away, fours years before Nixon resigns in shame, five years before Ford tell a bankrupt NYC to ****off.

Looking back times nearly always look better than they really were.

9. dec. Suspended

dec.

Haha, I agree completely!!

10. dec. Suspended

dec.

"we 'Christians' are being persecuteeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!"

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what makes you think Christians will be the only ones jailed? [​IMG]

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Just watched a preacher who wanted to go to jail for killing gays he spoke at a rally that huckabee and Cruz attended.

13. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Link would be great. This person would be the exception, and not the rule. If true that is a crazy man, and in reality has nothing to do with religion, but with craziness. So did Cruz and Huckabee know this? If so I will be changing my onion on them.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

So will all the homophobic, racist, a-holes. More than likely, they'll just die, leaving the world a better place.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

do you really want to see this? it is past crazy sadly there is way too much of this going on. Rachael maddow played it for everyone to see. well cruz claimed he did not know about what this guy preached but who knows you look at the crazy his father preaches.
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...-cow-manure-and-id-spread-it-all-over-my-body

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Did you have a link to where he said he wanted to go to jail for killing gays?

Ps, the guy's a looney

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I was not sure if that was the full thing can't hear it at work. Rachael maddow had his whole rant playing. this might be it.
    http://www.towleroad.com/2015/11/kevin-swanson/
    but use his name in a search I can't hear him luckily at work.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet Prop. 8 failed, DOMA failed, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1965 passed, as well as the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 19th Amendments.

Remind me again of who is losing?

BL.

P.S. I could care less about "God Bless America", as long as they restore "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th Inning Stretch, where it rightfully belongs.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  21. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

I was surprised to see Dick Smothers joining in.

From NPR books:
    "From 1967 to 1969, Tommy and Dick Smothers challenged the censors at CBS and the political establishment who tried to tame their wildly popular — and politically left-leaning — show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The brothers lost their show, but later won a battle in court."

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What a sad reply including those who added their thumbs up. Such a sad little distorted bubble to live in that offers such a dismal, one sided view of equality. Me, me, it's all about me! You? I don't care about you.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

How fortunate for Huckabee and Cruz that the evil Obama's preacher spouted wasn't considered important by the media. I'm sure it'll be the same for some nut who simply appears at GOP rallies.