God Delusion - Australian Style

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by .Andy, May 30, 2008.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So World Youth Day is coming up in Sydney Australia, where young catholics from all over the world flock to hear the words of wisdom of the affable Pope. It's being held at our biggest race course.

In keeping with the event's publicity machine, its time to for catholics to wheel out the old chestnut of an Australian Saint. The Vatican have decided to reassess whether Australia's very own MacKillop performed miracles and should be elevated to sainthood!

Yes you read right. She's already been attributed (posthumously) the cure of a woman of leukaemia and now a panel of Doctors is going to decide if she cured a woman of inoperable lung cancer. Through the pinning of a piece of her habit to her clothes. Insane.

2. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

These miracle cures always make me think of this:
    Why won't God heal amputees?
    :p

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He does.

Unfortunately, this offer in only available to certain lizzards.

4. pdham macrumors member

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Someone coughed-up a tumour, and they want to make the person with the hands-on approach a Saint. :rolleyes:

;)

6. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

What's the point of the attributing supernatural medical powers to a woman who has been dead for a century? As a christian do you believe that she can heal terminally ill people at random through prayer and a piece of fabric?

No good can come of not challenging this type of anachronistic, institutionalised thinking.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The point of this thread is to let those who dislike catholics to rant about how arcane and stupid they are for believing such piddle. Should be obvious. :D

8. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I agree there's no such thing as miracles, but I hope their event goes off without trouble and there are no terrorist attacks or what not. People should be free to worship whatever nonsense they want as long as they don't hurt other people in the process.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

World Youth Day - an $80 million waste of time and effort.

How about putting that money to some actual good use rather than getting a bunch of glassy-eyed arm waving kids to come and "pray" with an old dude in a dress with a funny hat who is supposedly the earth-bound voice of an invisible being that punishes or rewards us based on our decisions.

Blergh, I just don't get it I guess. The whole idea of religion is strange to me, normally I won't begrudge anyone their beliefs but when these beliefs are going to cost the taxpayer upwards of 80 million dollars and lock down a city for 5 days there's a breaking point.

10. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

11. Queso macrumors G4

You've obviously never been to The Vatican. That more than anything tells you where the Church's priorities lie, and it's not in helping the poor.

12. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sadly $80+ million dollars is what our state government has invested in World youth Day. Under the guise of us getting an injection into our economy from all the young christians spending up big whist they are here. It's being touted as an event bigger than the olympics.

But as per your point there are already Mercedes E200s roaming the inner Sydney streets in world youth day livery.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Geez, did you both wake up on the persecuted side of the bed today? :D

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

But I'm not catholic! :eek:

15. Queso macrumors G4

You sure about that? There was a definite whiff of guilt about that last post :D

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

To hear the right wing tell it, ALL christian folk are under attack at all times. :eek:

17. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Excuse me, I think you mean the religious right wing.

I'm happily atheist.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A distinction without much difference lo these past 20 years...

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Making fun of silly people.

Conservative =/= right wing.

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks a lot for that! I always have trouble explaining why I don't believe. This will surely make things easier ;)