God has now weighed in on the North Korean question.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Aug 9, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Donald Trump has some fascinating supporters. Apparently, even including almighty God himself. Robert Jeffries, an evangelical advisor to Donald Trump, said this:

“When it comes to how we should deal with evildoers, the Bible, in the book of Romans, is very clear: God has endowed rulers full power to use whatever means necessary — including war — to stop evil,” Jeffress said. “In the case of North Korea, God has given Trump authority to take out Kim Jong Un.”​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ngelical-adviser-says/?utm_term=.f6f275fe1a7c

The Christian God certainly is a ruthless God these days, isn't he?

2. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

No more ruthless than the supposed Islam god.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

same old same old.

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

Never in my darkest fears about a Trump presidency did I consider the possibility of nuclear war because somebody heard voices in their head or otherwise thought they had divine approval to kill. :(
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I'm no religious expert, but go back to Abraham times and isn't the Christian, Jewish and Islamic god all the same thing?

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm gonna go w/ Tillerson. The sanctions are working, that's part of why Kim's making so much noise...

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Milit...ump-Tillerson-reassures-on-North-Korea-threat

Tillerson, who spent the past days in Asia working the North Korea conflict, said he didn't believe a new diplomatic strategy was needed. To the contrary, he said the latest threat from the North suggested the current strategy was working. After months of frustration over China's reluctance to pressure Pyongyang economically, the US on Saturday secured a unanimous United Nations Security Council vote to authorize sweeping new sanctions that target one-third of the North's exports.

"The pressure is starting to show," Tillerson said. "I think that's why the rhetoric coming out of Pyongyang is beginning to become louder and more threatening. Whether we've got them backed into a corner or not is difficult to say, but diplomatically, you never like to have someone in a corner without a way for them to get out."

To that end, Tillerson said there was still an off-ramp available to Pyongyang: A return to negotiations with the US, a step that Tillerson has previously said can happen only if Kim Jong Un's government gives up its nuclear aspirations, starting with an extended pause in missile tests.​

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Dunno what version of the Bible he's reading, but every single one I've read (New American, New American Revised, Standard English, King James, Gideon, New International Version) all talk about punishments to rebels, not another sovereignty. If Trump opposes another "ruler" he would be the "rebel" thus suffer divine punishment.

Besides, an evangelical advisor should not be on the Gub'ment payroll in a religious capacity. It's un-Constitutional.:mad: 1st admendment, separation of Church and State.

For those interested I believe Jeffries is referring to Romans 13:1-6.

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Huh. What, then, would Jesus do? Rebel against his father?

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

why is god so lazy he can't do the job himself? what a slacker.

9. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

This makes it all the more frustrating that through whatever combination of briefing, "coaching" and scripting Trump couldn't be persuaded to not rhetorically escalate with "fire and fury." Tillerson, notoriously camera shy, appearing on TV to lower the temperature shouldn't have been necessary. Mattis' statement below reads to me like a Frankenstein monster of reconciling Trump's "impromptu" comments and a more traditional approach, albeit with one that still provides the incendiary "The DPRK should cease any consideration of actions tat would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people."
    DGzVsq0XYAAdLvo.jpg-large.jpg
    Per this Politico article, I'm not so concerned about our over-reading into Trump's words, but those words will be translated for unfriendly nations to read and, though Trump's body language was defensive, the barking quality of his delivery may signify that we're not just ready for a fight but welcome the challenge. Not that I'm the biggest fan of China, but I'm in favor of their wisdom: “China calls on all parties to avoid any words or actions that might escalate the situation and make even greater efforts to resolve the issue via talks.” Neither Trump nor Mattis seem to have nailed this.

10. LordVic macrumors 601

you know, it's supposedly the same god right?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Yes.

There are a total of 4 religions that spawned from the Abrahamic dogma. One (I actually forget the name) started around the time as Judaism but didn't last through the ages.

Judaism is the oldest of the 3. It adheres to the Old Testiment.
    Christianity is the 2nd oldest, and it follows more of the new Testiment, with some picking and choosing from the Old (depending on sect of christianity)
    and Islam came 3rd, and believed Mohammad was the last prophet and follows the Quran.

But yes. All 3 of these world religions all stem from the same origin story.

11. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Of course I just didn’t want Christianity to have all the fun.

12. localoid, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Oddly enough, if the guidelines of Romans 13 had been strictly followed by the Colonists during the 1770s, the Revolution would have never occurred, since they should have submitted to the governing authorities (as said authorities were God-ordained) and resisting said authority would have been the same as resisting God.

13. LordVic macrumors 601

It's a Theistic party!

You get a pillar of salt.

They get a pillar of salt

WE ALL GET A PILLAR OF SALT!!!!

14. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Sure, but what does Simon say?

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He wants to be sure that we don't wipe each other out until the end of Game of Thrones. He's a fan.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I'm a Christian. I'm so happy to say these big mouthed preachers don't speak for me. My walk with God is a personal thing that I don't impose on anybody else. I also don't let it be influenced by anyone else's take on what my beliefs should be.

A lot of Christians just quietly do our own thing, trying to treat others as we would like to be treated, irrespective of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political party or favorite sports team. ;)

As for national security, well, I love my country and the freedom it gives me to be the kind of person I want to be. I hope to see it defended well from any aspirations that seek to destroy our freedoms and ideals, whether those forces arise internally or externally.

17. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Not only "these days"
    violence in the name of religion has been rampant ever since when years ago when they nailed some guy to a couple of pieces of wood, and still continues today.:eek:

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

long before that but that was supposed to bring peace.

19. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

We all know how well that worked.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

More like: Dick with an Agenda drags Christianity into issue.

21. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

This just in: Santa Claus agrees that nuclear war is the only way forward.

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Technically, that was a secular bit of torture and murder, not a religious one, at least according to the Bible, if I recall correctly. The crowds had wanted to convict and kill Jesus for "blasphemy", but that wasn't a capital crime in the Roman Empire at the time. So, they instead concocted charges of sedition, in particular tax rebellion, and calling himself "king". Even then, those being actual capital crimes, Pontius Pilate couldn't find enough evidence to validate the offenses. But the crowd roared for Jesus' head, and Pilate bowed under the pressure.

So yeah, this was not a religious murder, nor a legal one, but rather a purely political one.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Simon thought it was the worst thing he ever heard. Randy thought it was pitchy and Paula loved it.

24. Chew Toy McCoy, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm sure Trump could probably find some juicier bits for justification in the Koran. But you know, Muslims.

Meanwhile the US gives plenty of people justification to war without having to site a higher power. They don't need to review what happened thousands or hundreds of years ago. They can pretty much just ask what we were up to the day before any given day.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Given Trumps personality, its gonna happen.
    Term "You're Fired!" has new meaning.

Is he an employee?? Anyone POTUS chooses can be an advisor, they do not make policy, just make noise.

Jesus is considered one of 6 prophet, on level with Mohammad (varies with sect)
    (I removed minor ones)
    Listed by Islamic name and Biblical name. The six marked with a * are considered major prophets.

Throughout history God is removed (not refereed) when inconvenient to some person in power doing something.
    Abuse of religion is rampant, and rarely is punished.