GoDaddy drops support for SOPA after huge internet backlash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by b24pgg, Dec 23, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Absolutely incredible. GoDaddy has done the fastest flip-flop in political history.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246958/godaddy_drops_support_for_sopa_avoids_backlash_boycott.html

Yesterday when the news broke that they were supporting SOPA, lots of people threatened to transfer their domains. GoDaddy released a statement saying basically that a few people have said they'd be transferring their domains, but no big deal...we still support SOPA. Big mistake, obviously. Today, way more sites decided to join the transfer...including Wikipedia.

That got GoDaddy's attention and they decided to publicly drop their support (although frankly I think they should put their money where their mouth is and draw a big fat check to the House members opposing SOPA.)

Now if only Congress would change their mind like that.

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Every CEO of every company that supports SOPA should be dragged behind a truck.

Unbelievable that the vast majority of American people are just bending over and getting ready to take this crap.

3. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Considering how (predictably) nonexistent SOPA coverage has been in the mainstream media, the fact that there has been this much vocal opposition and success is pretty impressive. I've been calling my congressman (who I'm pretty sure supports SOPA), posting on his twitter feed and his Facebook wall almost daily. I'm sure his staff is pissed at me but at the very least they know that his constituents really don't want it.

Unfortunately, this is why the bill has so much support in Congress. If I had $50 million to buy votes, I would.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

You guys do realise that Apple is supporting SOPA via the BSA, right?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

This was easy, I ported my domain out to hover.com.

There's always namecheap too. :)

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ran across this video rant – makes an interesting point about double dealing, but it is pretty hard to sit through.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, not really clear to me what SOPA is, and the sites I've been to find out haven't really been clear either... :(

10. hulugu, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

SOPA is the Stop Online Piracy Act, or H.R. 3261. Introduced by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), the bill would expand laws already codified under the Protect IP Act.

It would allow the Department of Justice to seek court orders against websites accused of "enabling or facilitating copyright infringement."

The problem is this would include YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, Etsy, as well as proxy server providers. This would also make the use of VPNs and tools like Mozilla potentially criminal under the law.

The bill would also allow the DoJ to hold individuals criminally liable for uploading copyrighted content, essentially extending DMCA and Protect-IP.

One of the most worrying aspects of the bill is its consequences: in order to protect themselves, internet providers would be forced to do deep-packet inspection.

The bill would also harm attempts to make the internet more secure, including blunting the proposed DNSSEC and would allow the DoJ to block websites, which would mean the US DNS system would increasingly fall out of step with ICANN. Effectively, this would break the internet's long-held structure of wide-spread and open DNS listings.

We would have a different phonebook than the rest of the world with the DoJ in charge with support and influence from large media companies.

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

That's the best, most objective, explanation of SOPA I've read.