Godzilla glass= A better tomorrow.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orfeas0, Nov 13, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I am reading the biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson and I read about a glass maker that worked with apple for the making of iPhone.
    They had discovered 15 years ago a glass codenamed Gorilla glass, but had no use to it. Some years later, Steve Jobs appears and with his ideas for a touchscreen phone and computer, there WAS a use for it.
    But later in the story they said something about a godzilla glass, an even stronger glass than the gorilla. Might that be used for less bezel in apple's products, meaning a thinner iPhone but with larger display, and macbooks with smaller bezel and bigger screen?
    I didn't see anyone mention that kind of glass and the hopes it gives, and I've been following macrumors around a year now.

2. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not even sure why they use all glass. Purely aesthetics?

3. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. Jobs was a maniac with aesthetics and design, he wanted to make the most beautiful products (which he did). He wanted everything to be perfect in the outside, but even in the inside. And he succeeded.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't want a phone that uses a plastic instead of glass over the display panel, its cheap feeling, and scratches easily

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Interesting video - this type of use of electronics has been envisaged for decades. Howe come we're still not at the point of being able to do this?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I don't recall this reference to a stronger glass (though it's been a couple of weeks) and searching my Kindle version of the book I don't find a reference to "Godzilla". Can you provide a quote or page number so I can review that section?

8. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the Greek translation it's in the page 437.
    More specifically:
    Chapter: "The iPhone"
    "subchapter": Gorilla glass.
    Right before the next subchapter (The design), it mentions godzilla glass, which will be able to support an iPhone without metallic bezel.

9. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

An iPhone with Godzilla glass wouldn't sell well in Japan.

10. Spitroast Panda macrumors member

:d:d:d

11. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome video! I bet we will see those things in reality soon, and most of them will be apple-branded..!

12. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

If that phone were real, i'd pay 1500 for it.
    true story.

13. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S do not use Corning Gorilla Glass.

This is a common misconception apparently.

iPhone iterations prior to the iPhone 4 used Corning Gorilla Glass, as evidenced on page 471 of the Steve Jobs biography.

With the iPhone 4, Apple began using Lens Technology International to manufacture their aluminosilicate glass. This was the supplier responsible for the white iPhone 4 delay according to Engadget.

Furthermore, Corning's Gorilla Glass website does not list the iPhone as a product.

From the Engadget article:
    and:
    See this thread for more info.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Interesting, nothing even remotely like that in the English edition. The "Gorilla Glass" subchapter is pretty short, it discusses the search for glass - then the discussion with Wendell Weeks - and ends with Weeks' recalling how Jobs convinced them to do it in 6 months. Then straight into "The Design".

----------

You're right, it is a common misconception. But it's not the topic of this thread and no posts here are implying that the 4/4S use Gorilla Glass.

16. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, I wonder how they put that into the Greek version...
    Let me translate the last paragraph before "The design" chapter.

Weeks became friends with Jony Ive, who sometimes came and saw him at his country (?) house at north New york. "I can give Jony some similar pieces of glass and he understands from the feeling that they're different", says Weeks. "Only the head of the department of research of the company can do it. When you show something to Steve, he instantly reacts, he tells you he likes it-doesn't like it. Jony though, plays with it, examines it, studies the thinnest points and capabilities". In 2010, Ive brought the top managers of his team to Corning to produce glass together with the workers there. That year, the company was working on an extremely sturdier glass with code name Godzilla Glass hoping that some day he will be able to make glass and ceramics sturdy enough so with those there can be an iPhone that needs no metallic casing. "Jobs and Apple made us better", said Weeks. "All of us are fanatics with the products we make".

The design

What I understand is that the bolded text doesn't exist in the english version?

From what you said, I understand the whole paragraph I wrote doesn't exist in the english edition, right?

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm sure there were lots of considerations. Electromagnetic transparency, rigidity, and tactile qualities all seem important.

18. FreakinEurekan, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's bizarre. Jony Ive is barely mentioned at all in that entire subchapter in the English version, and certainly nothing associating him with Weeks. I wondered if that passage was just in a different location, but in the index Wendell Weeks only is listed for those pages. There is definitely a substantial content difference in the version of the book you have vs. the one I have.

Here are the final two paragraphs before "The Design" in the English (Kindle) version:

------------------

What version of the Greek book are you reading? Hardback, softback, iBooks, Kindle, etc? I'm going to sent a note to the publisher.

19. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Softback.
    The publisher is Ψυχογιός.
    Translators: Γιώργος Μπαρουξής, Σοφία Παχή, Χρήστος Καψάλης.

The paragraph you pasted is right before the one I translated. It really makes your wonder...

20. monkeybongo macrumors member

Interesting, I wonder how many other little tidbits are different in the various translations. A full glass device sounds very much like Apple. I wonder how far off this will be ... iPhone 7 or 8?

21. interrobang macrumors 6502

There is no evidence that the iPhone 4s does or does not use Corning Gorilla Glass. If it doesn't use the Corning product, it uses a similar aluminosilicate glass.

Lens Technology, Inc. is a finishing company. They do not produce any glass, at all, on their own. They only cut, polish, and coat it. Lens Technology may provide finished glass blanks to Apple, but someone else, very likely but not definitely Corning, provides glass blanks to Lens Tech.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

Whatttttt. This is so weird. This paragraph is definitely not in the English version!

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

that youtube video is pretty much the same as microsoft video of the future couple weeks ago. Its koo but not realistic. All glass without any power to generate and wat not :rolleyes:

24. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Thanks. I emailed Simon & Schuster to see what they have to say about it.